Forum home› Archived Birth Clubs› My baby was born in Jan 2010
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

My Birth story.... esp for Reeny!

Ok here it goes... when I was 37+5 I had not felt her move all day which was strange as she was a little groover, I went to the assessment unit to be monitored where typically she started to move around, they did notice though that I was contracting regularly, I was only 1cm though on exam, I was experiencing back pain but didn't think they were contractions, I was told then she was back to back. The contractions over the next few days then started to move around to my stomach although when they got regular and intense it never lasted, I must have timed them a dozen times thinking this was it!

So at 39+5, 2 weeks later! I was still having contractions on and off, I had a sweep at my MW appt and was 2cm. to say I was gutted was an understatement, I was sure my waters would pop there and then! That night I had regular contractions but they stopped when I went to bed, 40+1 I had my second sweep, I was 2-3cm, this one was a bit more uncomfy as she had a good rake around up there, I felt pretty achy after that. My contractions started properly at 11pm that night, they were bearable though and I could sleep, that morning they were still coming about 8 mins apart but bearable, I sent hubby and DS to their swimming lesson as they were getting under my feet!

By 11am I needed the tens machine on, I didn't use one last time but as she was back to back I though I'd give it a go. I also called the assessment unit for advice, I was classed as high risk as I was hoping for a VBAC and wanted to know how long I should stay at home for, she told me as long as I was coping and my waters had not broken to stay at home as long as I felt able as I would be strapped up when I came in, I then managed to get to 4pm when they started to get quite unmanageable, they were 5 mins apart by then, I called my friend to come and look after DS and by 5pm we were at the unit, there was a huge queue, I was not coping very well, there were two other ladies there who reckoned they were in labour but were laughing and joking away and there was me tapping my tens up and up and gripping on to the desk and another lady sat on her hands looking not so good, typically the two having a great time where assessesed first, the lady sat on her hands was called in the same time as me and had her baby on the assessment couch as soon as she got in! anyway, I upped my tens again and was strapped up to the monitor, the HB was running quite high but it had before when I was last in and then they were not concerned as it came down quickly. Her HB continued to be high so the doc was called, I had some bloods taken in case I needed blood and had a cannula put in and advised we may be looking at a section if things didn't improve, I was then examined and was only 4cm! My god 4cm!!!!! The midwife said that my waters were still in tact, at this point I said ???????oh no there not??????? then there was a huge gush! Lol

I was taken round to the labour ward then, funnily enough by the community midwife I had with DS, she had been called in as they were short, I put on my nightie and got comfy ready for monitoring, as I had to stay still I requested a epidural as I was starting to struggle now my waters had gone, I started on the gas and air then, they pushed a load of fluids in to me through my cannula to see if they could get her HB down, by this time it was 8pm and shift change for the docs, I had a troop come to see me with the consultant, who explained that they were not happy and there would be a possibility of a section. She had a feel of my tum and they decided that letting me carry on labouring was too risky as she was still quite high in the canal, they didn't know why she was distressed, and they thought if it carried on I would be at heightened risk of scar rupture although we were not told this until after. I had the papers quickly out in front of me to sign and the decision was made, no epidural for me then! I carried on with the gas and air whilst they got me prepped, I must have been progressing as it was worse than I remember with DS and I got to pushing with him! When they all left I had a bit of a breakdown I just couldn't control my emotions, I was so sad, anxious and truly terrified that one or both or us might not make it and that my chance of a normal birth had been taken from me. Hubby was really supportive sat their in his scrubs, bless he must have been terrified too

There was already an emergency in theatre so they opened another for me, thankfully things were stable enough for me to be awake, on the was down I was asked if we knew the sex, I said it was a girl and they said they had a lady the week before who thought that and out popped a boy! Eeeek I didn't need to know that! So I had my spinal put in, I have to say the anaesthetist was great and really quick, much quicker than the one had had before, it's not easy to stay still whilst contracting! They got to work and brought hubby in beside me.

Jasmine Alexa was born my emergency c section at 21:51, weighing 7lbs 14oz at 40+2 on the 16th July. She is beautiful! She pooped all over the paediatrician when he was assessing her poor man! All was fine though and no reason could be found for her distress, she obviously wanted to come out the same way as her brother! It took them a while to sew me up as my scar was quite thin although they said this shouldn't stop another pregnancy but I wouldn't be allowed to labour myself,

Replies

• Options
    Wow, now that's a story to tell!! Well done for getting through all of the drama! Back to back labours take ages to progress but once established go do quickly do that's probably why your pain intensified! Sounds very frightening but you have a beautiful little girl from it! She obviously wanted to create some drama like her brother. Ha, I live the fact that she pooped on the pead! Xx
  • Options
    Well done Supermum. And thanks for sharing.

xxx