Forum home› Archived Birth Clubs› My baby was born in Jan 2010
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

G/C FAO Mummy-led weaners

Ok, so hopefully I've got the right forum, if not sorry and now I feel a little stupid:lol:...

I'm sure I read in a recent post in baby about weaning that a few people in BIJ were doing a mix of BLW and purees and I was wondering what you did , what you offered at what times of the day and how you started/progressed. We wont be weaning for another 4 weeks and I'm really keen to do BLW but I'm concerned LO wont get enough in the first instance so would like to give him some more traditional purees to ensure he gets some calories.

Any help or advice would be much much appreciated - weaning scares me!

Replies

• Options
    hello

you got the right place!

we weaned early so had to start with purees, at six months i just started offering him things to play with after his puree so if he didnt eat it it wasnt a loss, i started with things like toast, sticks of carrot, apple and cucumber. once he got the hang of eating i introduced 1 meal of finger food, so we have a meal of something like scrambled egg on toast or chicken goujons and veg sticks, he does really well, but i still like to give one meal of mashed and a good brekkie,

at the start we were doing

brekkie of porridge then a 7oz bottle
    mid morning 7oz bottle
    puree lunch and pudding
    afternoon bottle 7oz
    puree dinner and pudding
    bedtime 9oz bottle

as he has increased his intake we dropped his mid morning bottle and moved his lunch forward, then added a little finger food after one meal, he now usually has something he can pick up at each mealtime wether it be a little bit of mummys toast or a slice of fruit x

good luck, its great fun the mummy led way!
  • Options
    I was all set to do BLW with a few purees. But lo is better with purees, so it's now purees with a bit of BLW. BLW is all about discovery and play. To start with it has nothing to do with food intake and calories. Milk is and will be the main source of nutrients and calories up to a year old. With BLW you give finger food, to allow baby choice of what they will and won't have, and give them time to learn taste and texture. It's all in their own time. If they drop stuff, if they play with it and don't eat any, that's all fine. You offer something else. Babies don't realise food is to fill them up, to begin with. So some babies might not drop a bottle, or start to eat properly for a while. With introducing purees, we preload a spoon, to try to give a bit of independence. If James doesn't want it, it doesn't go in his mouth! If you give a finger food at each meal, or have a finger food meal, it's up to you and what works with your lo. HTH. xx
  • Options
    ive started hanah with rice and purees and once she got the hang of that introduced one or two finger foods as a "starter" eg toast fingers, melon, cuumber dried apricots etc. she is now 6 months and only just starting to get the hang of picking the finger foods up and gumming them. then i fill her up with puree and yog.

we do
    6:30 bf
    8:00 porridge + fruit ( banana usually)
    11am 6oz formula
    12pm finger food+ puree+ yog
    4pm 6oz expessed breast milk
    5pm ffinger food+ puree+ yog
    6:15 breast feed

hth