Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Jan 2010
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

first mmmm mmmm sound!!

i was very impressed today while he was nibbling a rusk he was making mmmmm sounds, must have liked it then!

Replies

• Options
    awww bless him! emmy just tries to smile and ends up drooling her food haha, can't wait for her to make mmm sounds.

clever little fella you have becca x
  • Options
    6 months is advised, but in that case why are so many foods suitable from 4 months???

in my opinion babies are all different and all develop at different stages, i know my baby is ready to start and has been for a while now,

it might be worth trying tastes of things off your finger? or have you tried baby rice?
  • Options
    G/C seen this on the front page and thought I'd drop in LOL My DS1 is 5 and when he was a baby 4 months was the recommended weaning age, it changed to 6 months 3-4 years ago and when it was changing my health visitor was like oh they change these things all the time whereas if you were to ask her now she HAS to go by the guidelines, my DS1 was fed at 17 weeks and to be honest for all they get LOL its not like your throwing spuds down their neck its usually a couple of wee spoonfuls of rice, more to get them used to eating.

I would say like piggypops say this is why foods are suitable from 4 months as it was always the case until recently AND if it was proven to damage your child by giving them food at 4 months surely you could sue the companies that produce the foods for misleading information!!!

Go ahead and let your wee bubs have its first wee spoonful of rice, for all it is it'll be a few weeks before you'll have built up to lunch dinner etc xx
  • Options
    I'm going to start weaning Sebastian next week. He's 17 weeks this week and 4 calendar months (born 30th Dec and thurs is 30th April iyswim) on Thurs but as he has his jabs will wait to make sure he has no reaction to them.

I want to know how you are supposed to make your baby wait until 6 months. Sebastian already tries to grab our food and cries when he can't have it, I would feel cruel making him wait another 2 months. I weaned dd at 4 months and she's fine.
  • Options
    The reason they still advertise 4 months on the jars is that when the dept of health changed the recomendation from 3 to 4 months a law was passed to prevent any promotion for food or drink to babies under 4 months. In 2003 when the recomendation was changed to 6 months the law was never changed. There is voluntary code of conduct that the UK is signed up to, to not promote any food or drink for babies under 6 months but obviously the key word is voluntary, and no company is going to do something that will reduce its sales.

The research suggests that a baby under 6 months does not have a developed enough digestive system to extract the nutrients from solid food so its main food should be milk, breast or formula. So I think as long as you are not filling them up on other foods so they are still getting plenty of milk then they are still getting all the nutrients and calories that they need to grow.

Hope I don't sound too preachy, I don't want to start telling anyone what to do - I believe a mothers instincts are the most important thing when it comes to babies and you know your baby best and so should do what you feel is right.