Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Jan 2010
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

My Birth Story... A little long, sorry! (Also in DIJ)

On the morning of Tuesday 5th Jan, I woke around 04:45am, just before hubby's alarm was to go off for work. I felt quite uncomfortable, but had been experiencing strong Braxton Hicks for a day or two. Hubby's alarm went off, and I tried to go back to sleep, but dozed. When he came up to say good-bye half an hour later, I told him to keep his phone handy at work, don't know why really, just had a feeling something may happen!

I tried again to go back to sleep, but had to get up and go to bathroom, where I noticed I'd had what I assumed to be a 'show'. Realising that this didn't necessarily mean that anything was imminent, I went down stairs and took 2 paracetamol. The pains were getting more uncomfortable, so I called hubby and told him what was happening. I said that I didn't want him to come home just yet, and I was going to call Labour Ward and see what they said.

I called Labour Ward, and told them I thought I'd had a show, and that I was getting strong pains, that were about 10mins apart. They said it sounded like early labour, and suggested a couple of paracetamol, a warm bath or shower, and to call them to go in if I couldn't cope with the pain, or the contractions were getting closer together. I called hubby and asked him to come home, as I wanted him with me as I was getting increasingly uncomfortable.

I went and got into the shower, but couldn't stay in too long as I was too uncomfortable. My sister was staying with us, and had got up for work, she was helping me to get things together to get dressed, and got me a bucket as I felt sick! I came down stairs, by which time hubby had arrived home. Don't think he knew what to do with himself, bless him! He made me some toast, but I couldn't eat it, and ended up being sick again. My pains were getting stronger and closer together, but I was having difficulty timing them and the length.

By 07:30am, I rang the Labour Ward back, and told them that the pains had increased in intensity, and were getting closer together, around every 5-10mins. They said that I could make my way up to the hospital if I felt I needed to, but that I may get sent away if I was not far enough along. Relayed this info to hubby, who went and got a shower Confused and my bags together. We had left the house around 08:00am for what would normally be a 15 min drive.

The snow was heavy though, and it was rush hour. I was sat in the back of the car (with a bucket as still feeling sick!), having increasingly frequent contractions, trying not to show them as didn't want hubby rushing with the motorway being so bad! So he drove like a vicar on a sunday, on the inside lane Evil I remember thinking, I know I told you not to rush, but bloody hell!

The journey from the car park to the Labour Ward (Midwife Led Unit) was trecherous, as there was snow and ice on the pavements, and the contractions were becoming more frequent. When we arrived, there was a buzzer door entry sysytem. Hubby rang the bell, and said "Can we come in, my wife is in labour!" LOL! in a rather panicked voice! We were sat down, whilst they checked us in, and I explained what was/had been happening.

They said that I would be examined shortly and took me into a room. Around 09:00am, I was examined, and to my immense relief, was told that I was 5cm dilated! I had written a brief birth plan, that out-lined my choices on analgesia etc, so the midwife asked if I would like some diamorphine (yes please!), and some gas and air. I was also given some anti-sickness medication, as the nausea was bothering me a lot!

At some point, she also asked if we would mind having a medical student come in with us. Neither hubby or I objected. For the next couple of hours, I was continually examined by the midwife, who stayed with me throughout.

I was getting a lot of pain in my back, and felt comfortable on myleft side, with hubby rubbing my back. I was told that baby was back to back, and that I would have to turn baby, with some help from the midwife. It becomes a bit hazy at this point, but I remember being told that baby had turned, and that I would probably need my waters breaking as I was not progressing. They did this at around 11:00am, and I instantly felt relief, but also like I was wetting myself. The pain also increased!

My midwife kept examining me, and told me I would need to begin pushing. I was pushing as hard as I could, but was only making progress with the first push, and I was told that there was a ring of muscle which was holding baby back, and I would have to try and push past it, whilst the midwife tried to help get baby past it. Baby's heart beat was monitored throughout. At some point, I was told that baby's heart rate had increased, and that I would need to be moved so this could be monitored. This would have been around 12:45pm.

I was placed on the monitor, and continued to be directed in pushing, being encouraged by midwife, and my hubby. They were talking about possibly getting a doctor to see me if I couldn't progress with pushing. Baby started to arrive not long later. At 1:19pm, baby's head was delivered, and by 1:23pm, the rest of her had arrived.

The midwife presented her to us so that we could see that she was a little girl, and asked hubby if he would like to cut the cord. Initially, he had said that he didn't want to, but must have gotten carried away in the moment, and did it. She was placed on my chest, and we were able to marvel at the little wonder that we had produced. I was adamant on my birth plan that I didn't want an epesiotomy, but ended up having a second degree tear anyway!

The midwife who was with us throughout the birth, was wonderful, and can't fault her. She reassured both me and hubby, and I feel she was the reason I had such little intervention.

My ???????official??????? labour was timed at 4 hours 25 minutes. I joked with the midwife that I may have to consider a home birth with my next!

Replies