Forum home› Archived Birth Clubs› My baby was born in Jan 2010
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

When LO has a beaker....

Lyvi still isn't too keen on drinking water but we keep trying everyday! She has a free flow beaker, which is working best but I'm just wondering how flat you have LO when drinking water from such a beaker? If she sits upright then she can't tip the beaker up enough to get any water (despite it being almost full) but I'm worried about 'lying' her down more because of it being a free flow beaker and her not exactly knowing when it's going to come out as she doesn't have to suck. But she doesn't seem to cough and splutter much anymore.

Thanks, NN xx

Replies

• Options
    I generally give Poppy water sitting upright. She also has a free flowing beaker and manages quite well now. She doesn't really lift it herself, although she can. Think it's a case of why have a dog and bark yourself :lol: Although, to be fair, it is quite heavy for her when it's full. xx
  • Options
    James has a freeflow TT beaker. I also give it to him upright. Can't let him hold it himself, as it gets banged on everything, water goes everywhere, and he tries to shove it back in his mount, but misses! :lol: I first gave it in his bouncy chair, and he found his mouth first time. Ours has 2 recline settings and it's on the most upright. xx
  • Options
    Mabel has the free flow flippy top TT cup and lay down when she was learning to drink, but she sits up now she's got the hang of it.

She doesn't drink much in a day though, maybe 30-50ml.

B x
  • Options
    Amber has a TT free flow cup and holds it and generally tips it to get the water out and tips her head back. She flings it around as well and gets water everywhere, but she enjoys that bit too!!! xxx
  • Options
    Cam has an Avent beaker (magic cup possibly?!) and he has that in his highchair or sitting on the floor if we're having a snack but it's got quite a long spout compared to others so it works quite well when he's upright as he can tip is quite high! x
  • Options
    Jasmine has a free flow TT but will not drink from any sort whatsoever she jsut will not drink water even from a bottle. its driving me nuts as im sure she is thirsty. i try her at least 5 times a day but with no avail - help!!! we usually try in high chair and recline it by one notch xxx
  • Options
    We've got a brand I'd never heard of - vital baby. Its got a semi rigid spout and has a removable valve so can be free flow or non-spill. I really like it, there's the first stage one that only holds 4oz and so is lighter for Sara to lift and get used to. I've just bought her the next stage one which holds up to 7oz (I think). Sara loves water and will drink about 5oz a day - more if I'd let her but she sicks up a bit of she has too much.

As far as drinking position goes, Sara will only drink it sitting bolt upright with her head quite far back (think downing a vodka shot stance and you're there!)

• Options
    Emilie will actually only really drink from a sippy cup reclined in a chair or flat on her back...strange child. She has a Nuby one that's got a soft teat spout but generally she's not bothered for water or juice. The Doidy though she will have some sitting upright x x .
  • Options
    jacob is always sitting up for drinks, all his beakers are sucky ones as he cant manage free flow, i have to help him to drink as although he can hold it he cant tip it up, i am sure it will come with time that he will be able to lift it up himself, we have a mam and a nuby one x