Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Jan 2010
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

what does your baby sleep in/under?

well Alyssa is 6 weeks and will fall asleep faster and sleep longer and deeper if i swaddle her (loosely) but all the books i am reading are telling me that she should now be half swaddled under the arms because of restricted movement and cot death being linked to overheating.
So for the last few nights i have wrapped under the arms but Alyssa has jazz hands in her sleep and wakes herself up almost every hour and it's taking a good half hour more to settle her this way??

Thanks Clair xx

Replies

• Options
    hi my son is 16 weeks and he is still throwing his arms around in his sleep and he will not sleep unless swaddled and even if he drops off he wakens after 20 mins or so.
  • Options
    We're the opposite! From the day she was born Florence has had to have her hands free to chew on otherwise she kicked up a fuss- you can imagine how many scratches she's given herself! I stopped swaddling her last week as when she was drifting off I'd wake her up arrangig the blankets. She now sleeps under 2 cotton traditional cot blankets tucked in under the matress with her arms out. Can't wait for her to fit into a grow bag, she'll love them!
    Fay and Florence 4 weeks 3 days x
  • Options
    Hi. I've never swaddled James. We tried grobags, but didn't feel James was settled enough in them. So we're back to a sheet and blanket. I tuck them in at the bottom of the crib, but they are loose at the sides. Just tuck them loosely to his body at chest height. James sleeps with his arms up most of the time, but when settling or waking does throw his arms about! xx mithical and James 4 weeks 3 days.
  • Options
    We swaddle Flynn at night, over his arms as he will not go to sleep with his arms free, because he flings them around everywhere. We also cover him with a cot sheet and another blanket tucked under the mattress so he is well trapped in. He doesn't get too hot, as our flat is very very cold at night.
  • Options
    We put Cameron in a sleeping bag from 4 1/2 weeks (he's a big baby - prob around 11lb now!) and since then he's been sleeping a whole load better at night. Although strangely he likes one of the ones much better than the other. I think he prefers the material or something because they are both the same tog rating.

Hollie + Cam

5+5

xxx
  • Options
    jacob sleeps with his arms up by his head so we never managed to swaddle, he sleeps in a grow bag at night and a cellular blanket in the day x
  • Options
    We're also using grobags now as she started kicking her sheets off at night. Never managed to swaddle as she sleeps with her arms up, same as Florence, Emilie has to have her hands available to chew on!

Love the the grobags though and have already ordered some more image
  • Options
    When Olyvia was tiny we used to swaddle her. But to be honest she was so tiny and sleepy I think she would have slept anywhere, any way then!

But then I noticed that she liked to sleep like a starfish and I remembered that was how she used to lie in her incubator (as obviously she didn't need any blankets in there). And I also started to worry about her overheating being swaddled so we stopped and just used blankets. However, Olyvia is a little wriggler (part just how she is and part wind pain I think) and she would always wriggle out of her blankets or kick them off (she ended up sideways in her crib numerous times!). We had to wait until she was big enough to use her Grobags though and she seems much better now.

Love NN and Olyvia xxx

http://lb1f.lilypie.com/Tp6A.png

http://lbff.lilypie.com/vBTq.png

• Options
    Emilia liked to be swaddled if she was upset when she was very young, but now she just sleeps in her sleeping bag. She settles at night really well in this, before when we were just using blankets she would kick them off and wake herself up

Joanna
  • Options
    I've been swaddling William but he is now 5 weeks and 1 day and I've found my DD's sleeping bag which is newborn so he'll be in that tonight for the first night. I'm not sure how it will go as he too has jazz hands and is punching and kicking the air and he manages to get out of his swaddle sometimes and wakes himself up so. I'm hoping he settles well in the sleeping bag as he seems to be wide awake after his 3am feed, maybe not being restricted though might make him settle quicker than 2 hours!!!