Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Jan 2010
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Random question about bottles

Just a question thats been niggling at me, when you say you're giving a 7oz bottle for example do you mean there is 7oz of water or it makes up to 7oz when you've added the powder?

I work with mls over here (but the bottles also have ozs on) and I'm never sure how to compare with what others are taking!

Liz x

Replies

• Options
    if i put 8oz of water in i say its an 8oz bottle. an 8oz bottle gives a displaced volume of 9oz tho,lol.
    so yeah i say the amount is the amount of water ive put in b4 adding powder x
  • Options
    I asked this question a few months ago! :lol:

I count it as 240mls, as that's how much water I put in, so around the 8oz. Then I wonder how much is actually drunk, because you are working from the displaced volume! :roll: xx
  • Options
    Argh don't get me started on this! It messes with my baby brain...I struggled with the fact that you're pregnant for 9 months but actually 40 weeks which is more like 10!!!

I too go by the amount of water i put in...this is one of those topics that I can't think about for too long as it messes with my head too much
  • Options
    we make it up by mls as the oz is slightly less, i put in the right amount of water then add the powder, so it is more i think its called the displacement value?
  • Options
    he he glad to know I'm not the only one who finds it confusing! On the side of our packets it says for instance 180mls of water makes a 210ml bottle so I was never sure whether to say she has 180mls or 210mls!

I think It would be easier to say she has 5 scoops of formula!!

But anyway then maybe she's not drinking more than others like I thought because she's only having then 2 x 5oz, 2 x 6oz and 1 x 2oz which is the equivilant to 3 x 8oz!