Forum home› Archived Birth Clubs› My baby was born in Jan 2010
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Carseats for chunky monkeys!

Cam's current carseat is from birth - 9kg and while I thought that would last him for nine months he's already 8.6kg and i suspect will cross the 9kg mark in a couple of weeks given his current rate of chunk gain!! But I don't know what's best to do in terms of the next carseat, is he too young to go into one of the 9kg-36kg forward facing carseat even though he's heavy enough for one? Or is there any rearfacing carseats that are around that last until baby is much bigger? Has anyone on their second one already?!!?

Thanks ladies

Replies

• Options
    There was a thread in baby about car seats last month and the phrase 'self-decapitation' caught my eye!! I understand that until 9 months or so LO's muscles/ligaments etc haven't developed enough to keep their head on their shoulders in a front facing car seat in the even of an accident - GRIM!

I've been doing a bit of research into them too as we'll be in the UK over the summer and will prob buy the next size up to keep until Sara fits it (much better choice and fitting services etc). I quite like the look of this britax one, goes up to 25kg
    http://www.baby-nest.co.uk/britax-multi-tech-rear-facing-car-seat-jet.ir?cName=car-seats-group-12-925kgs

xxx
  • Options
    The only thing about the seat that i'm unsure of is whether it reclines...pretty important as Sara loves to snooze in the car!
  • Options
    Hi I am having the same problem Cameron he is now 21lbs he just won't stop growing and he is still only on milk!!

I have read up and the car seat he is in mamas and papas one apparently does him till he is 29lbs so I can last a little longer but I will probably have to do something soon and it will probably be the rear facing one that turns forward facing

Doesn't really answer your question but I thought I would mention I am in the same boat!
  • Options
    We've recently got a new car seat for Poppy as we will be making a long journey in the summer, and whilst we don't intend to have her in it for longer than the recommended period, we wanted one that would be comfortable, and that could stay rear-facing. We went for this one in the end:

http://www.mothercare.com/Britax-First-Class-Plus-139-99/dp/B003N1DN2A/sr=1-1/qid=1276781237/ref=sr_1_1/280-1618683-8806751?_encoding=UTF8&m=A2LBKNDJ2KZUGQ&n=42764041&mcb=core#productInfo

This can go rear facing until 13kg, and forward facing until 18kg. The one that I've linked is actually a bargain price for this seat, as it's usually ??140. Unfortunately, we paid a little more for ours, but are considering getting another-for my car & when new baby comes. Good luck with your decision xx

Edited to add that this does recline for when they're asleep, but I've not actually tried it yet, so couldn't say how much or how good it is ;\) x

[Modified by: honeyPops on June 25, 2010 02:14 PM]

• Options
    Thanks for your thoughts ladies! The rear facing ones look great and I think I may well get one of them. The only alternative I saw was this one - http://www.mamasandpapas.com/product-cybex-pallas-grenadine/119428000/type-i/. Any thoughts appreciated! It looks like the front panel does a good job in preventing crash related injuries that you might get with the forward facng 5 point seatbelt?! x

[Modified by: flimpo on June 25, 2010 03:47 PM]

• Options
    I would have to say, that personally, I prefer the idea of having lo rear-facing for as long as possible. I'm also not so keen on the idea of having only a pillow to attach it & as a restraint, although I'm sure it works. The idea of the pillow preventing crash related injuries is a good one though. Just my opinions though xx