Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Jan 2010
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Follow on milk...

I'm sure this has already been posted about but I was just wondering what those who are formula feeding are doing about follow on milk?

I took Cam to get weighed yesterday and he was 19lb 1oz at 24 weeks and while HV said that was fine, it was time to cut his milk down to 20oz a day now he's on 3 good meals a day. Is going to be hard work for us as Cam is back drinking over double that at the moment. Last night we dropped the dreamfeed and he slept exactly the same (hurrah!) so that's 7oz gone but still got 2/3 more bottles to remove. What I was wondering was whether Hungry Baby milk would be better or the follow on milk? I know follow on has a different split of vitamins/minerals tailored to LOs development stage but does it fill them up the same as normal newborn powder or is it more filling like hungry baby? Has anyone started using it yet?

Thanks xx

Replies

• Options
    we have decided to switch to follow on from next week as we are on hungry baby and i 'think' it is too filling for him on solids, plus it has exta iron as that starts to depleate after 6 months, i am hoping he will take more of the follow on than the hungry one x

becca and jacob
    24 weeks, 6 days
  • Options
    I'm starting Sebastian on Follow on as soon as our normal milk runs out. I think he probably only just takes about 20 oz on a good day but then he loves his food and would rather have more of that than milk. I don't know if it is more like hungry baby milk but when I used it with my daughter it always had a sweeter smell than stage 1 milk so it obviously has something different about it other than just the vitamins etc.
  • Options
    We've just moved on to follow on milk and dropped a bottle with in a week and the twins seem much happier. Their finally finishing feeds rather than taking 2-3 here and there.

Also has the extra iron needed (thou) if baby has a varied food diet its not completely neccessary to swap- we did thou!!

• Options
    Thanks ladies - I think follow on milk it is! x
  • Options
    Are you waiting until LO's are 6 calendar months or going for it at 24 weeks??
  • Options
    6 calendar months but only because i can't remember the weeks now!