Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Jan 2010
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

We've gone backwards! UPDATED

Well, for the past couple of weeks Sara has been a nightmare at night...she used to go to bed well around 7 - 7.30 and then basically sleep through apart from a couple of dummy runs. She now will fight and not sleep until around 8pm but then treats it like a nap so will sleep for an hour and then wake up again! So I resettle her and she'll sleep until about 12 or 2, same thing then, then 4 but then she'll sleep really well until 7-8am.

Its like she's totally forgotten how to self-settle and as soon as she's awake at night she'll be crying.

There have been quite a few changes recently - I've had to go back to work so am not there 24/7 as before. Daddy has been looking after her more and I know he cuddles/rocks her to sleep, as does our childminder I think too...maybe she's just got used to it??

How do you think I go about restoring the good habits I got her into? She doesn't feed at night (hasn't since we started weaning) so isn't waking because of hunger - this morning she didn't want her breakfast until after 8am. She naps well in the day but again its a fight to get her to sleep

It will break my heart to have to do any sort of sleep training...but it looks like we're headed that way image

What would you all do?

Liz xxx

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So, had a chat with OH and he's agreed to keep to our routine etc, he said the reason he rocked her to sleep was he hates to hear her cry or think that she's not happy when she's with him, and that when she does cry he feels like he's doing a bad job - SWEET!!!! Last night was miles better, although a million miles away from lying her in her cot and walking out (where we used to be!) I put her in her cot and then sat on the floor next to it and held her hand through the bars. It took about half an hour for her to drop off but there were no tears and she seemed to just drift off with me sssshhhhing her. I had to resettle her a couple of times in the night but they were more dummy runs really so i'm one seriously happy/relieved mummy today

Thanks once again for your help and support lovelies xxx

[Modified by: mybutler on 23 June 2010 12:51:44 ]

Replies

• Options
    I'm not an expert, because James has never consistently slept through.

But from what you've said, you all need to be doing the same thing. There are the gentler sleep training like PUPD, which if I'm correct about you were asking for info in Baby?

As you say it's the unsettle of things chainging a little I guess. As long as everyone is on the same page, there shouldn't be any reason why Sara can't get back to where she was.

Babies always change the rules at some point. ;\) Hopefully after a few days of consistency, it'll come back to her. xx
  • Options
    I think that you're probably right in saying that she's unsettled by the changes. Have you considered that she may be teething also? I found that Pops would wake & cry out after she'd gone to bed, and would settle after calpol. If I think she needs it, I tend to give a small dose before bed to prevent this. Might be worth a try?

Poppy went through a phase of waking during the night when she previously had slept through, but all she really needed was a cuddle & she would settle of again. It only lasted a week or two, but can't really say what caused it.

If you are considering sleep training, I know you've posted previously about pupd. If you look at my previous topics, there's a post in BIN "FAO Sim75", in which I asked for help/advice on sleep training to get Pops napping longer. You may find the info that Sim gave quite useful. Here's the link if you want to look:

http://www.babyexpert.com/chatroom/topic/178276

It must be difficult for you to have Sara waking during the night when you're back at work. Hope you manage to resolve things soon xx
  • Options
    it could be that she is confused if you are doing different things? it could also be a phase, we went from sleeping through to waking a lot, it has just settled for us the past week or so back to just one or too dummy runs x
  • Options
    Yeah I did ask about PUPD a while ago, really just to see what my options were!!! I think you're all right that everyone needs to be consistant - it is tricky though as I know daddy and childminder will cuddle her just because they don't like to see her upset.

Hopefully if we're all consistant things should iron out...and hopefully its a bit of a phase too. HoneyPops - I think you're def right about teething, thats why its so hard to be firm when its in the back of your mind that her mouth might be sore.

Think I need to call a Sara staff meeting so we're all doing the same thing!

Thanks everyone xxx