Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Jan 2010
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Night time waking after previously sleeping through

Our lo is 8 months old, and has slept through for a good while now. Over the past few weeks, she has been waking around 3 times in the night. Initially we thought it may be teething, and have given her paracetamol & ibuprofen. It's now 3 weeks on, and she's still waking & there is absolutely no sign of teeth! Can teething take this long? I did wonder if it was becoming a habit, but there is no real pattern to the waking. Sometimes she'll cry out, then go back off, other times we have to go to her to settle her (only takes a few minutes) & give her pain relief.

I did wonder if it was a developmental thing, as they say when they learn new things it can often lead to night waking. Recently, she's learnt to clap, wave, pull herself up to stand & has started cruising furniture. Could this be the cause? The only other thing that I can think that has changed is that she's not taking as much milk either during the day or at her bed time bottle. We did change milk from C & G Comfort to C & G Follow On as nowhere had stock of the Comfort milk locally, but not sure if this corresponds. She eats well during the day, and we space her food & bottles out so that she's not getting it all at once. She has 2 naps during the day, generally one 40 mins & one 1 hour 30 mins. She self settles for these. It seems to make no difference to her night time waking if she's napped well or not!

Does anyone have any advice/experience/words of wisdom? I did think that it was a passing phase, but at just short of a month it seems to be a bit more. I'm 18 weeks pregnant, exhausted & (murphy's law) am going back to work in a couple of weeks. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks xx

Replies

• Options
    Hey Honeypops,

Unfortunately I don't think I can offer anything different to what you've already suggested - sorry!

But, reading I initially thought teeth or developmental. Maybe she has all these new things going around in her head and is causing her difficulty sleeping.

We had something similar recently, LO has always gone down excellently in his cot and loves his sleep, but the week before last LO wouldn't go down at all and needed to be cuddled to sleep (usually hates being cuddled!), Tried Calpol, teething powders, bonjela etc, but nothing seemed to help. I put it down to changes at home - DH being back at work after 6 weeks and me going to work for a few hours each week. But after a few days I could see new lumps and bumps with new teeth and (touch wood) he has been fine ever since.

I'm sure it's far more difficult being pregnant (congrats by the way!). Fingers crossed it's just a long passing phase that she will grow out of.

Sorry I couldn't be of much help - I'm sure some of the other Jan Mummies with be more useful!

BB xx
  • Options
    You are all so lucky Elysia has not slept through the night once yet since she was born! I'm still doing bed at 7.30pm then a feed at roughly 1.30am then waking for the day any time from 6 although can be earlier. Aaaaaargh!
  • Options
    ps sorry Honeypops that wasn't very helpful to you!! Ha ha ha - oops. I don't have any advice but I hope things resolve themselves soon. x
  • Options
    Don't worry Reeny. It must be tough having night wakings still too. Things have improved slightly since my post, in that she's not waking nearly as often. I've managed a few nights where I've not had to go to her, although she does cry out which wakes me. I leave her for a minute or two to see if she'll settle back off, and generally she has.

I've been tweaking meal times and how much she eats (less food), which means she's taking more milk and is actually keen for her bottle which she wasn't a week ago! Think this has helped as she's taking more milk before bed, so is fuller for longer. I do think she's teething too, as her fingers are constantly being chomped on, so giving her the benefit of the doubt & giving her pain killers if I think she needs them. This seems to have helped too.

Hope Elysia allows you both a full nights' sleep soon xx
  • Options
    Not trying to rub it in (honest!) but T has been back to normal with his sleeping pattern over the last few days. I just think that the likes of teething etc gets them out of routine, even if only for a few days and it can sometimes take weeks to get back into routine - very cruel for baby and Mummy!!!

Glad to hear things are improving for you - you will get there!

BB xx