Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Jan 2010
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

[Modified by: Minnie09 on 02 November 2010 17:25:51 ]

Replies

• Options
    Thank you.

I just reread my post and the bit about being a perfectionist came out a bit wrong - I don't think I'm perfect at doing things, I just struggle with not following rules to the letter, if you know what I mean. So I'm worrying that if I don't follow BLW rules 100% that it won't be right and won't work.

Also, I'm hyper aware of eating problems, having suffered from Anorexia myself and really worry myself that if I'm spoon feeding her it'll be like 'force feeding' and will make her have eating problems :\? I'm aware that sounds really stupid.......... :cry:
  • Options
    So many big decisions for our January mummies. Ok if you are BLW or using purees, surely as Lyvi still needs milk, you will be BF anyway. But I presume your milk may become less, as the demand may become less. Obviously I don't BF, but Lyvi will still need her usual feeds until she's ready to drop them. From the point of BLW, it can be hit and miss for how much the baby actually eats. So imo a bit of puree and a bit of finger food, could be ideal. Your lo gets her food, and a chance to try herself and have a bit of a play! I would like to do both. Maybe a veg puree then banana for dessert, or carrot etc, then yoghurt. I'm not sure how mixing means you are not a perfectionist, because making sure Lyvi is getting her calories and enjoying learning to eat herself, is great. It's a win win? :\) Don't concentrate on the you side of it, give Lyvi the best of both worlds! I really hope something I've said makes sense. I'm on my mobile, while James is napping on me, so can't really go back over it and reread! Might reply again later, when can concentrate more. But need to say, you are a fab mummy. Lyvi has always been your number one priority, and although you're not sure now, the answer will come. Even if you start with one or the other, then mix or change. xx
  • Options
    It doesn't sound stupid hun. At this age babies take food because they're hungry. If you spoon feed, she wouldn't take it if she doesn't like the taste, or if she's had enough. We have to encourage our lo's to try new things, but trying 2 or 3 times to get lo to eat something is way off force feeding. :\) You would never do that, so you have no reason to worry about it. xx
  • Options
    hey hun. try not to stress out too much1 i know it's hard, and must be even harder as you've had food issues in the past, but livvy will be fine, just remember that.

i don't see why you can't do BLW with purees as well as finger foods too? isn't the whole point that they learn about food and textures and how to feed themselves? if so i would just show livvy how to put the spoon in her mouth once it has the food on and then just load it up for her. that's what i do for emmy-lee and it is generally quite successful, it didn't take long for her to figure out where the food was meant for. that would mean livvy was getting some calories whilst still being in control which should ease your fear of 'force feeding' a bit?

you could also give her 'chunks' of the same meal whenever possible so she has her finger foods and the chance to experience the other textures of the same food and get used to feeding herself that way too.

try not to be too hard on yourself, livvy is a little star and is doing really really well from your posts on here and FB, so you're obviously doing a very good job. but the most important thing is for her to have a happy healthy mummy whenever possible so it may do you both some good.

good luck hun xxxx
  • Options
    Firstly I want to say you have not failed!! You are a fantastic mummy who has done her very best right from the start to care for Olyvia.

I was going to suggest the same thing as mummy and emmy-lee - try preparing her some puree food and giving her it in solid form. She will get the best of both worlds then. Gradually as she gets the hang of eating from a spoon you will be amazed how quickly they start to want to do it again. Be led by Olyvia if she doesn't want it stop and try again another time. I think the BLW principles can easily applied to puree feeding. You are also providing her with a valuable skill; being about to eat from a spoon and move food from the front of her mouth to the back which will aid her speach development.

Perfection is hard to achieve, dont be too hard on yourself when things dont go the way you planned. Take a look at Olyvia she is thriving and YOU did that xxx

• Options
    Hunny really try not to stress about too much. Tonight or over the weekend find time to sit down with your hubby and talk it through, obviously there are more details than you have been able to put down here so you really need to talk them through and decide between you how you want to proceed. You are doing the very best you can for your little lady don't forget that, she is very lucky to have such a caring mother. Try not to think of things in such a black or white way, as your lo grows up you will find that there are more things come up that you may have to flexible on, you may not always be able to stick rigidly to your original ideas of how to do things so try not to think of things as sucess or failure, you, like all of us, are learning as we go.
    I hope that you find a balance that works for all of you,
    xx
  • Options
    Hey hun, I agree with what everyone else has said! I have also read the book on BLW and while I agree with a lot of what she says I think she does scare monger a touch about spoon feeding being like force feeding. I was worried about starting spoon feeding because I read the BLW but honestly Emilie is very clear when she doesn't want to eat, when she's full and when she doesn't like the taste of something and so long as I take those cues I can't see that I'm force feeding her! It's just important to offer a good variety of foods and making the purees yourself really makes you feel like a super mummy!! (And it's quite addictive!). I'm looking forward to giving her some finger foods at 6 months but I'm just going to combine the purees and finger foods to give a good variety! x x
  • Options
    the others ladies have said what i would have, i just want to add that jacob is puree fed and this week we have added BLW (he wouldnt eat enough on just BLW as hes such a greedy boy!) as his hand to mouth skill is fab, he was even having a go at brushing his teeth this evening image anyway what i was going to say is that i dont 'think' you can force feed a baby, if he doesnt like something he will not open his mouth and if he has had enough pushes the spoon away and wont take anymore x
  • Options
    Thank you so much ladies - you're all fab and I really appreciate all your support.

I know you're all right too - it just helps to hear it from others, especially those who are already weaning. I guess it's that fear of the unknown and wanting to make the right decision. I think it's more about having a go and following Lyvi's cues.

I know the Drs/HV are just trying to look after me and that it's important I do too to be well and happy for Lyvi. Feeling like crap again physically tonight, which makes me think I should listen to them and stop being so hard on myself!! :roll:

Who knew motherhood would be so full of tough decisions, guilt and confusion!! :lol:

Love NN xxx

p.s - Liz, I completely agree about the scaremongering in the BLW book about spoon feeding!
  • Options
    I was just having a look at my weaning book, and I was wondering if the following suggestion might help...

I know that you would rather do BLW rather than purees. Could you start Olyvia off with smooth purees combined with finger food, maybe she could use the sticks of veg and fruit to taste the puree (dipping it in) and see how she got on? Once you had introduced her to variety of flavours and she was handling them well, then you could try and introduce texture after few weeks. Because she was already used to handling food with a texture she might move on to mashed or forked food a lot quicker. Then after a few weeks of that when Olyvia has learn't the connection between getting her food from her solids and not so much from milk you could maybe gradually take away the more mashed/smooth food and replace with BLW fully.

Not sure if that makes sense, and obviously Olyvia may have other ideas!! But just a thought, as I know how important trying BLW was to you xx