Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Jan 2011
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

and the 'advice' has started....

Immy is three weeks tomorrow and I've already had MiL tell me on three separate occasions to 'give her a dummy' when she knows hubby and I don't like them.

Don't get me wrong, love my MiL to bits but wish she'd leave it alone.

Anyone else getting unwelcome advice already.

Replies

• Options
    Oh yes! The sil made me doubt myself earlier which I really didn't appreciate! I always change Aleia's nappy with each feed so I know she is clean and can sleep.

She had just finished her bottle earlier and was dozing so I changed her nappy and she happily went back to sleep in grandads arms!!

Sil told me I should only change her every other feed! Uh no!!

My mum was the other one! She had only drunk 2 of the 4ozs if her milk the other day and nothing would get her to drink it! My mum said it's alright keep it fir her next feed! Uh no!!

Aleia is 16 days and is so happy and content with the little routine she puts herself in so why would j mess with it!! Grrr!!

It really annoys me that when pregnant or have a baby people see if their right of passage to tell you what to do even when they know you have done it all before!!

Sorry went off on a rant! Lol!!

Hope little immy is being good fir you

Xxx
  • Options
    Glad it's not just me hun! I change Immy's nappy with every feed too so don't worry about it. image

it's amazing the advice people give you, even if you've done it all before....

Immy has good days and bad lol she's caught a cold off the other two so she won't settle at the minute and slept most of last night on my chest!

Glad Aleia is good and content!
  • Options
    Hey ladies

MrsC - how is immy with the cold? Alfie has developed one since yesterday and I'm wondering what to do. He's quite snotty and looks like it's hard to breathe sometimes as he's so bunged up. I was thinking of calling the docs but not sure what they could do?
  • Options
    Hey all,

I too have had the dummy thing suggested on more than one occasion - even though me and hubbie have made it clear we don't want to go down that road. I'm getting much better at just saying "no we don't want to do that" now though, even if it offends - it's our baby after all!

Charlie caught a cold off of me on Friday and he has been really bunged up, especially of a night time. It seems to be getting better now - I didn't call he doc's as same as you Mrs_eee I didn't think they'd be able to do much.

It has made him much more unsettled in the evening though s I'm hoping he is over the worst of it now!
  • Options
    and we all thought the 'helpful' little comments we got when pregnant were bad enough..

why should we feel judged as a mum from the dummy/nappy changes/how many times do we get woken at night questions and comments that keep coming our way.

I just grit my teeth and smile, as I'm sure they all did when they had unhelpful advice with their children
  • Options
    If they are bunged up I would highly recommend calpol saline nasal spray. Have used it on Aleia a few times and works a treat!

Poor little babies with the cold. It can't be nice fir them!!

Xx
  • Options
    RE MIL's and their dummy advice, my LO is my third and every time she has gone on and on about a dummy (never used one with any of them) she has finally given up now but only because I replied to her "that child needs a dummy" with "if i wanted a plug for her don't you think i'd have gone and got one!". Should have seen her face lol!

xxx

PS the best piece of advice I was ever given, thanks mum, was to listen to everyone smile sweetly then do what you want, you know your baby better than anyone else!
  • Options
    I do just ignore it.

Was going to say the same as mummyJC about the cold, the saline spray helps them breathe so give that a try...