Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Jan 2012
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

High blood sugar!

Hi ladies,

I havent been on for a while!

Im slightly concerned, midwife rang yday to tell me my bloods were all ok apart from my blood sugar which was high. I'm waiting for an appointment for a glucose tolerance test. Trying not to worry because we have diabetes in the family and i dont seem to have any symptoms. My diets pretty good, so i would be suprised if it was that causing it.

Has anyone else had high blood sugar this early on?

Em x

Replies

• Options
    as long as i get through the next few weeks i will become insulin dependant as i did with toby but they didnt find that till 27 weeks but this time i will most probably start at about 10weeks. With regard to diet there are a few things that will help. Cut down on all carbs (its like chewing sugar cubes!) swap white for granary, and if you need a portion of carbs keep it small and balance with a chunk of protein.

If you do have problems then please just ask but even if the worst case senario is you are an insulin dependant diabetic - it is a piece of cake and the needles do not hurt one iowta!
  • Options
    Hi, I'm type 1 diabetic and just wanted to say hello. I know it probably feels a bit scary but try not to worry, they've obviously caught it early and you may be one of the lucky ones who only suffers mildly so not much is needed other than the odd blood test and controlled diet. I'm on insulin 4 times a day and have to monitor everything I eat, now I'm pregnant with no. 2 and my sugars are already high, showing that I'm suffering with the insulin resistance I had last time. Last time I had to triple my insulin doses and check 5 - 6 times a day. On the plus side I see my doctor / midwife every two weeks and get scans every four weeks, so much better care than some of friends who aren't diabetic.

Good luck, I hope it all settles down!
  • Options
    Thanks ladies! Will have to wait and see what the hospital say so hopefully my appointment will comes thru sooner rather than later x x