Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Jan 2012
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Anyone else ???

Hey was just wondering if anyone works night shifts? I am a nurse and have to do nights. Before I got pregnant I loved them but now I am so ill all night, sick, dizzy, and oh my god I literally can't keep my eyes open. If any of you do and have found any ways of coping I would be grateful if you could share them as this really is killing me. Thanks and hope you are all well x

Replies

• Options
    your boss legally has to offer you day shifts now although i know this isnt often an option as most peeps doing nights do them for a reason. sit down whenever possible stay in brightly lit areas......dont take a long break and get fresh air whenever possible...and when the dreaded eye pinch starts hapening drink something ice cold and fizzy and splash some water on your face......best solution is go and see a lively time consuming client it will soon wake you up x
  • Options
    g/c but i got signed off nights by occy health for a few months until i felt better in my first pregnancy as i often never got a break during my 12 hour nightshifts , they dont have to legally change your shifts though esp if your contract is pro rota or nights normally, you can also get a note fom your doctor advising not to do nights for a certain period,
  • Options
    Sorry to g/c I work shifts and they don't have to take you off nights. I spoke to my dr and all they can give you is a note to recommend altered hours but they cannot specifically say you are unable to do nights. I was exhausted but due to personal circs I ended up being signed off work anyway and am now on a structured return to work.

Mostly it will be down to goodwill of your employer and your risk assessments which will differ for every workplace xx
  • Options
    i got signed of my nights during my first pregnancy, the tiredness made me vomit so much it was horrid, the final straw was vomiting a small amount of blood, initially they were slightly annoyed as i was due to do a couple of nights the following week but then we just settled into a new routine of working most weekends to keep my anti social hours up. this time i have just started a new job and they dont like 6's doing nights so lucky for me i get away with it this time. x
  • Options
    Hey ladies thanks for your replies. I have a letter off my doc but work are making me do 1 night a week which really annoys me as up until now I have worked way over my fair share of nights! I work in intensive care too so it's not good me leavingvthe room to be sick all the time, so hoping they get easier as time goes on x
  • Options
    tiredness is supposed to ease off after first trimester anyhoo...well im hoping so....it did with my first and i was very energetic right til labour as i skipped into the labour ward lol...as for sickness who knows sometimes it never tails off but i hope for you it does.....x