Forum home› Archived Birth Clubs› My baby was born in Jan 2012
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Smoking

Hi Ladies,

Hope you are all well.

Quick question - were any of you ladies smokers before finding out you were pregnant? I just wondered as since I have stopped/cut down I have found that I am eating so much more! Is that a pregnancy thing or a stop smoking thing! I know people that have given up have gained a few pounds as they eat more.

Are any of you still smoking or finding it really hard to stop completley. I have to say I went from 20 a day to about 4-5 a day.

Thanks

D xx

Replies

• Options
    G/C from DIS but with a sister who is a smoker with 2 children, the extra eating is both a common pregnancy and quit smoking symptom. You'll be wanting to eat little but often with pregnancy to top up energy levels, with the quit smoking side it's thought it's a brain connection with hand to mouth movement. On another note, sis gave up with her 1st child whilst her partner continued smoking, on the 2nd she continued smoking 10 a day. Both her children were born through c-sec (as she had had back op prior to falling pregnant) close to her due date, her 1st weighed 9lb3 and her 2nd weighed 11lb6 (although the MW didn't pick up on her having GD until baby failed to engage and they decided to scan and found he was a monster that was too big). I admire you've managed to cut down as I have watched several friends struggle. Best wishes and hope you have a happy 9mths ahead.
  • Options
    i used to be a heavy smoker but gave up when we started ttc, had a few odd ones since like on a friends funeral and when we had a MC. You have done well to cut down to 4, have you tried patches to help kick the last few out the door. Do you have any other children? If so do you smoke in the house?
  • Options
    sadly, im still a smoker, i have been smoking for a very long time and have tried to stop many many times!! now after talking to the doctor about it they are giving me counsilling for it aswell, doesnt start till the 28th tho :/

goodluck and hope you have a happy and healthy pregnancy

xx
  • Options
    my reply sounded a little abrupt - i am trying to say something but it sounds wrong when i type it out.

What i mean is, would you smoke in the house after this little one is born?? Most people say no a recoil in horror at even suggesting it but currently you are doing that as your lo is directly affected by your habit. There is heaps of support so i would suggest grabbing everything you can and with regard to the weight gain - what about swimming or pregnancy yoga, or just nice long walks in this fab weather.

Oh or hypnotherapy??? Saw a car drive past on the way to work offering this for smoking. and i am sure the cost is ofset quite dramatically especially over a long period of time x
  • Options
    Hey I was 20 a day smoker up until we started ttc then I cut right down. Then stopped once I found out I was pregnant but it's so hard I feel your pain. I have had the odd slip up but going strong at the minute. I agree with other posts just try your best and try get as much as help as you can. At the minute I am thinking I will start again once I have had the baby ( not around the baby) but I hope I don't I think it's just my way of dealing with it! Good luck Hun x
  • Options
    My friend was a really heavy smoker (around 30 a day) until she found out she was pregnant, she stopped straight away but she did suffer terrible headaches and felt awful for the first couple of weeks. Try and stick with it if you can, the withdrawel symptoms do ease although i don't think the craving goes away.

xxx
  • Options
    Well done Lou xx