Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Jan 2012
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

starting a new job

i have been out of work for a couple of months now, and have just been given a new job, its working in a chip shop so the hours wont be too long,

im only really taking it as i want to get a bit of money to spend on baby shopping image after my scan of course image

my new boss doesnt no im pregnant yet, and i dont really want to tell him untill i have had my 12 week scan...

do any of you ladies no if it is safe to work in a chip shop?

any advice would be great

xxx

Replies

• Options
    well done on getting a job - i would say that you would need to be a little careful about lifting things. But i cant see any reason why it should be a problem. I run a busy pub with a busy kitchen (lots of hand batered cod too) and its fine. Your boss will do a risk assessment with you when you make him aware that will give you a break every four hours. And if you work more that smp will give then you hsould still qualify for maternity allowance via the job centre i think which is almost the same as maternity pay. I think the qualifying weeks are approximately week 17 - week 25 so cram in as many hours as you can in that time!.

Good luck x
  • Options
    thanks image dont think im going for that job now, got another interview at a play group on sunday, so hoping i get that one now image xx
  • Options
    Good luck with the job hunt hun - like summer said it's only really lifting you need to be careful about (unless your working with chemicals or essential oils).

• Options
    thanks image im really hoping i get this job at the nursery/play area, anyway, my interview is on sunday so i will let you all no how it goes image

xx
  • Options
    ohh just seen this - good luck on sunday x
  • Options
    thanks image xx