Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Jan 2012
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Big baby

Hey ladies

Just been to midwife today, because baby felt big she started seeing me every two weeks, even though upto now I measured perfect, well today that changed, now baby still feels big apparently (I dont know how they can tell, all just feels like limbs to me) But now at 31 weeks I measure 33 weeks.

Now under ordinary circumstances I wouldnt mind but since my other two children were 9 1/2 pound and 9 pound but never measured big or anything I am horrified! Does this mean this one is going to be massive then, I mean surely the other two were big enough!!!

Replies

• Options
    Hi jmp

Not that I can really help but I measured 29 weeks at 28 weeks Nd the went up to 33weeks at 31 weeks. I'm going to see me midwife shortly and interested to know if I will have got even bigger. I feel big but it is all bump. The midwife did say that the measurements are only a guideline as we all have different length abdomens which will affect a fundus measurement...that's assuming you're going by the fundus measurement and not a scan??

I'll let you know how I measure tonight.
  • Options
    Try not to panic! I'm diabetic and babies born to diabetic mothers can be bigger than normal, therefore I have scans every 4 weeks to make sure baby isn't growing too quickly. Saw midwife yesterday and she says I'm measuring 31 weeks but as I'm 30 + 4 she's not concerned, and my last scan at 28 weeks they said was fine.

With my first baby I carried a lot of fluid, ballooned up like a whale, and at my 36 week scan they said baby was 6 1/2 lb then. When he was actually born nearly 4 weeks later he was only 7 lb 8 so the midwives said either the scan was read wrong or it was down the fluid.

If they are that concerned they will send you for a scan I'm sure, but I would try not to worry until they confirm that.
  • Options
    Try not to panic - I have the opposite problem and am measuring three weeks smaller.

My midwife said not to worry unless you're more than four weeks out either way.

Mrs B xxx
  • Options
    Hi Hun

Are you going to be sent to hospital for assessment to check on the size of the baby? Probably a good idea ( if only to put your mind at rest?). The fact that your other two were 9 and over suggests that this one will prob be even bigger ( they do increase the more you have) so it would be worthwhile to get checked out. Sorry, don't mean to freak you out but i'm concerned that mine could be big so i'm going for an assessment at the hospital. I say knowledge is power!

R x
  • Options
    I can really understand your concern. My first was 8lb 7oz which was a shock to everyone as I was small and they told me at my 30 wks scan to expect a 6lber. This one is said to be on track for being just as big.... but my bump is bigger this time round. Will find out more at my next scan a week tomorrow. My fundus measurement has always been fine for both pregnancies. Strange.

My nieces were born at 10lb 8oz and 10lb 2oz though!

I would ask them to send you for a growth scan to put your mind at ease if your worried.

xxx
  • Options
    Well I seem to have stopped growing as only measured 33 & 1/2 and I'm 34 weeks. However I've been told the baby is now breech so this is probably affecting the measurement as well.
  • Options
    hi, i measured 2cm under and had a neat little football bump. Everyone told me i was tiny to the point where it really wound me up! I had an 8lb 13oz boy who was so packed in he was back to back and head tilted for so long he had a neck injury image i just dont know how i was able to hide him as im a little person!

I really dont think, as others have said, the measuring means too much. Also (not to be rude)but your tummy does not hold so tight round your bubba by number 3 so you can measure larger when it might well be a similar sized baby. And the measuring is subjective and influenced by your abdomen/baby's position. Sounds like you are in good hands x