Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Jul 2012
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Birth options..

Hi everyone,

i'm 14 weeks, and I know it's early but I have been thinking about birthing options, and really want to go for a home birth! has anyone else had any thoughts? xx

Replies

• Options
    I think home births can be lovely but I was always concerned that if something went wrong at the last minute that a 15 min ambulance ride could be too long if the baby was in distress. Though my first birth was pretty straight forward I would have had to be taken to hospital for surgery for a 3rd degree tear.

I am lucky as our hospital has a midwife led birthing centre within the main maternity unit so it's less medical and more natural but if anything goes wrong you could be in theatre in minutes and you have access to all the consultants and surgeons if needed.

I think it's a case of balancing your birth experience with any potential risks to you and your baby

• Options
    I think I will be opting for the midwife led unit again this time. My first labour was really easy and went extremely well so my midwife tried to persuade me to have home birth but I feel the same as bebedeux and would prefer to be at hospital just in case something goes wrong.
  • Options
    I almost didnt want to comment on this as I dont wnat to scare anyone, my sister wanted a home birth and was booked to have one, but as she went over her due date she had to go into hospital. During birth she had complications and ended up in intensive care. If she wasnt in the hospital she wouldnt be with us today.

All is okay today and what was wrong with her is very rare (so please dont worry ladies), but it wasnt detected in scans and would have happened regardless so thankfully she was overdue, but at least she was in the best place.

I truly arent trying to scare anyone as I know home births are truly a great experience for many people with no problems at all but I would like the comfort of knowing im in the best place if anything was to go wrong.

I am by no ways saying im a right on this as I am a very strong believer in every women must do what feels right for them.

However for me its deffo a hospital birth, this is just what is right for me.

xxx
  • Options
    I totally agree that everyone should choose what's right for them and don't mean to put anyone off homebirths. For me though it's a little outside my comfort zone. Funnily enough when I had my dd the midwives almost pressured everyone into a homebirth and I said no. As soon as she was born they said "homebirth next time then?". At booking in I said I don't want a homebirth and the same mw said "oh we dint encourage them now as we are too under resourced!"