Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Jul 2012
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Stretch marks

Hi,

What are you doing, if anything, to try and minimise getting stretch marks?

When do they typically appear?

Xxx

Replies

• Options
    I moisturise at least every other day. Although it really is pot luck I think - I didn't get any last time but I wouldn't count that out this time around. They tend to start showing around week 17.
  • Options
    I think it depends on your skin type more than any lotions or potions you use. I already had stretch marks on my boobs before I had my daughter and got them on my tummy when I was pregnant. The old ones have faded to silvery lines now.

I found one tiny new one by my belly button today so am expecting some lovely new ones to appear image
  • Options
    Last time I didn't have any until 38 weeks, but my son was most comfy on the left side of my belly and in those extra 3 weeks quite a few appeared. Guess my skin just couldn't cope any longer! They have faded loads and I am bound to get a lot more with this baby, but I'm not too worried - Thay can be my special mummy-marks image

Last time I moisturised twice a day with bio-oil and palmers coco butter. So far I am only covering myself in baby oil once a day (much cheaper lol).

I do think that if you are prone to them then you will get them. I have very old faded stretchmarks on my boobs and thighs from puberty.

• Options
    Thanks ladies for your response! image

I got stretch marks during puberty (hips and boobs) so I must not have the lucky elasicated skin! sigh...

I am using body lotion every morning, body butter 3 times a week and bio oil every other night...

Im trying not to eat crazy amounts of food, dont get me wrong im eating well! ha ha... if I fancy something I have it... so im probaly not being that good with food but I dont think im going OTT either.

So apart form the oils / butters / lotions and trying to stick to around 2200 / 2300 cals a day (NHS recommended)I guess there isnt much more you can do and if you get them well then its a part of the baby journey I guess :roll:

xxx
  • Options
    Crikey Sheffield Rose your tummy must be ever so soft with all that moisturising. You can't do any more than what you are doing now by moisturising and trying to gain weight steadily.

You really can't stop the little beggars though so don't get too upset if a few appear. I just got them on my lower tummy and a few near my belly button