Forum home› Archived Birth Clubs› My baby was born in Jul 2012
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

One born every minute

Hiya,

Did you enjoy OBEM? I get excited at the end when they say there is another episode, does anyone know when the season is over? image

Every time I see a birth where the lady has an epidural, the birth seems much more relaxed / less painful! Lol image this is my first baby and I'm open to everything but epidurals come more and more appealing watching OBEM :Lol:

Regarding tonight's episode I laughed out loud at the young lady pooing herself! Lol image she took it all very well and made me realise must take it all in my stride too! Watching this show is really helping me and hubby see "real" births.

Xxx

Replies

• Options
    This is my second baby and I often wonder why I was so against an epidural the first time around. This time I'm well up for it - it means you may actually get some rest during the 30 hour labour!!!

I wasn't sick last time and all three ladies were sick last night - that's my new worry now.
  • Options
    I had an epidural due to complications. I wasn't dilating properly (took me over a week to get to 4cm!!) and my baby was back to back. My contractions started after I had a sweep which took me from 2cm to 4cm in 24 hours. I also had hypertension so wasn't allowed to move around because I had to be monitored. My baby got into distress twice so the midwife recommended an epidural in case I needed an emergency c-sec. I have to say, the contractions were not that bad, its just they were coming every minute and I wasn't dilating, I wasn't allowed to move and I got tired. When they transferred me from the ward to delivery and I could walk around the room I was fine, but being stuck on the bed was torture. The epidural was great because it didnt take away all of the sensation and I could still feel my contractions, they just didnt hurt. It made pushing slightly harder because I really had to concentrate to find my muscles and squeeze them, but I was only allowed to push for an hour and managed to get her out in just over that! The words, 'you have one hour or we will have to intervene because baby's heart rate has slowed' gave me all of the determination I needed! An hour after my daughter was born I was in the shower so the sensation returned really quickly. Having said that, I didnt top up as frequently as I could have, you are allowed to top the epidural up every 1/2 hour but I didnt because I wanted to keep the sensation. It meant that it wasn't painless, but very easily manageable. I actually think that if I hadn't had the complications I wouldn't have needed the epidural. My advice would be research your options but do not write a birth plan, go with the flow and make the decisions in the birthing suite xx
  • Options
    I really enjoy OBEM too. Think I read that there are about 3 or 4 episodes left.

I was quite open minded last time and was willing to accept any pain relief I needed. I always saw in my mind like a ladder from paracetamol, codeine, TENS, water, gas and air, pethidine to epidural. So although it would have been my last resort I never ruled it out. My birth plan simply said 'wait and see, open minded' in the pain relief section. The only reason it was last on my list was that I really didn't fancy a catheter and a drip if I could help it.

As it went, there was no way I could have sat still enough for them to put one in anyway. I literally had to jump off the bed every time I had a contraction. Luckily I went from 2-3cm to delivery in about 5 hours so was pretty quick for a first anyway.

I can't see there being time for an epidural this time, even if I did want one. My main aim is to make it to the hospital!! Would quite like to try a waterbirth if I can though.
  • Options
    i have to say an epidural is looking quite appealing to me too! i've given birth twice already with just gas and air, and although it wasnt that bad, i like the idea of no pain!!! The only thing that puts me off is lying on my back to push. I have done it once standing and once on all fours so dont know if it would make a difference. Very open minded though.

Yeah and the poo thing, i did, both times, a lot. ha ha

i want my birth to be like the last lady Ines. She looked pretty serene- and no poo!

xx
  • Options
    I don't think I pooed or if I did no one told me. I did throw up once in transition though which is apparently a sign everything's about to happen. I just had paracetamol, tens and gas and air and coped fine but mine was quite quick.

In my birth plan I had start natural and then whatever is necessary or recommended.