Forum home› Archived Birth Clubs› My baby was born in Jul 2012
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Sterilizers

I'm hoping to breastfeed but just incase I can't I want to be prepared. I've looked around and spoke to all my friends with kids and they are recommending Dr Browns bottles. I've looked at the steriliser that goes with and it's a microwave one. They do an electric but it seems to be out of stock everywhere. Problem is we don't have a microwave. Do you think I should invest in one or look for an electric one that will fit Dr Browns bottles? Seems like such a small worry now I've wrote it down but I've been stressing about it for weeks. Must be my hormones. Xx

Replies

• Options
    I have found my microwave increasingly more useful as my daughter has got older. For example I use it for warming her food (defrosting the home made stuff too) and I make her bottles up by putting the water in the bottle in the morning and then microwaving the bottle for 10-15 seconds and adding the powder as I need it. I also have a microwave steriliser and love it xx
  • Options
    Meant to add, if you are looking at Dr Browns bottles because they are anti-colic, can I also recommend Avent? I personally found the Avent anti-colic bottles much more effective, I didnt get on with the Dr Brown ones. You can also get lids for them so that you can store expressed breast milk too xx
  • Options
    Thanks glitterbug. Will take a look at the avent bottles. I never really thought ahead about the microwave but sounds really useful as the baby gets bigger. Think we need one one. Xx
  • Options
    I used my avent electric steriliser with my doc brown bottles and it worked fine. Will be using doc brown again - cannot recommend them highly enough......well that's if my inbuilt milk makers go south again
  • Options
    I got on really well with my Avent microwave steriliser. I used the Avent breastpump and bottles too and never had problems with them. DS would happily switch between breast and bottle which was important for me.

Found it useful that the steriliser would be ready in 6 minutes as I would chuck loads of other stuff in there too - dummies, calpol spoons, teethers. I liked being able to store it in microwave aswell when it wasn't being used so it wasn't out on worktop.
  • Options
    Microwave sterilisers are great for travelling too as you don't want to have to take a massive electric one for a weekend away. We used the tommee tippee closer to nature range and got on fine. They do quite a cheap hand breast pump that's useful if you plan to express. We tried the anti colic ones and didn't find any difference and there's more bits to dismantle and sterilise!

I'd invest in some infacol too. You put a few drops in their milk or mouth and it does seem to help their tummies early on.
  • Options
    If your going to buy Avent bottles Tesco have them at ??13 for 4 bottles and its the new anti colic ones that has a goldy coloured plastic. I got mine today. x