Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Jul 2012
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Things for baby

Me again! I went into mothercare yesterday and got myself in a tizz. It seems that we just need so much! Can any second time mummies give me a list of real essentials that we will need for baby. We have ordered our pram and bought a few bits of clothes but that's it! Not even sure what size to buy. Is it newborn or tiny baby? I'm clueless. Thank you. Xx

Replies

• Options
    Hello! I'm on my second. Personally I wouldn't buy too many new born clothes as they grow out of them so quickly. You can always roll up sleeves and things on 0-3 months stuff until they grow into it properly! Also DD was 9lb 3 so we had new born stuff she was too big for from the day she was born!

Other than pram you need to think about where baby will sleep (crib, moses basket, cot) and how you plan to feed (bottle or breast) as you may want to look at breast pumps, sterilisers etc (although its handy to have one of those for weening even if you don't bottle feed)

It does seem like theres a lot to get at first! luckily we are having another girl and don't really need to buy anything this time!
  • Options
    Thanks peony. I'm trying to get list together so I can tick things off. Feel like I need to get organised as just realising that the special day is not as far off as I had been thinking. Good you can use what you had from last time. Shopping is something less to worry about. I thought I would really enjoy it but just feeling a bit overwhelmed at the moment. Xx
  • Options
    I'm on number 3, not that i'll be much help! I have found that looking through a catalogue is a good thing to do. I circled things we need and things i would like!

I wont buy too many clothes. this time baby will be born in summer (obviously!) so it wont be wearing much in the first month or two, so i will just get some vests, sleepsuits. also remember people will buy you stuff! I will get newborn and 0-3. My babies have been 6lb 11oz and 7lb. So they have both fitted newborn.

I will get a moses basket but won't spend too much on it as both previous babies either didnt like it or werent in it that long. Get some fitted sheets and blankets. sleeping bags good idea for a bit later on.

Muslins or burp cloths i found useful.

Breast pads, even if not intending to breast feed.

sterilizer and bottles- even if intending to breast feed, just in case.

I'm going to get a baby carrier as i used one loads with dd2 but not essential.

One thing i bought that i didnt use at all was a baby bath! Too much faff so just got one of those foam supports and used the big bath. Also top and tail bowl- too cumbersome. i just used ice cream tubs!

Theres prob loads more, that why i used the catalogue so that i dont get confused when i go in the shops!

good luck, enjoy shopping!