Forum home› Archived Birth Clubs› My baby was born in Jul 2012
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Here I go again... I feel FAT rant!

Hiya,

I feel so HUGE! I darent weight myself (its just terrifies me to think what I have gained) and I feel so ugly and fat.

I cried lots of hubby yesterday and I know it seems selfish to feel this way as I am so lucky to be pregnant but I cant help it.

I feel so horrid, in town this weekend I seemed to see hundreds of pregnant ladies, all who had neet bumps and appeared to have gained no weight elsewhere, it made me so depressed!

I have gained weight everywhere, arms, legs, hips and this horrid back fat thing... its awful!!!

I feel so low on myself.

I have to go to a wedding in 2 months and im dreading it, I know that sounds awful, but nothing looks good on me now, let alone then!!!

I have to lose the weight quickly also afterwards as im being a bridesmaid myself 4 months after the birth NO PRESSURE!!!

I have been called / told the following by people who seem to think its okay, now that im pregnant, to comment on my weight: plump, showing "well", indulging in my pregnancy, you sure its not twins? you still have 4 months to go!, wow you seemed to have spread, some women just put weight on in pregnancy dont they - my sister / friend / neighbour etc remained nice and neat!, wow you got HUGE quick...

honestly I am not making those up, ive heard all those comments!!!

I dont think it helped that I was so skinny for my wedding last year and everyone saw me so skinny and now ive just ballonned!

I am so down on myself its not funny.

I nearly cried on a random women in a shop on saturday...

how are you all feeling?

xxx

Replies

• Options
    Ah Sheffield please don't feel so down on yourself!! I'm sorry you feel so crappy and I know it's hard especially because our hormones don't tend to help but honestly ignore EVERYONE and their stupid bloody comments!!! It really does seem like once you're pregnant everyone thinks they have the right to comment on your body...even though it's still YOUR body and we are probably at our most sensitive about it! A lot of comments I get are from people that haven't had kids yet so I try and think to myself that they just don't understand how hurtful it can be and actually have no real idea of what a woman should or should not look like at any stage of pregnancy as they haven't been through it themselves! The women that have had children already should know better but I think women tend to just be a bit catty towards each other without even realising sometimes. My dr actually warned me earlier on in my pregnancy that this would happen and I would get comments from everyone and their dog and people would also want to tell me their birth horror stories...and that I should ignore EVERYTHING!! He also told my DH that if he was there when people said things that my DH should just step in and tell them we would rather not hear bad stories etc as we're trying to enjoy the pregnancy!!

Anyway, everyone's bodies are so different and we all react in such different ways! My bump is decent but not huge out front yet but I've got loads of extra 'padding' at the sides, my hips are bigger, my thighs are bigger and my boobs are huge! It all depends on the shape you were before, how tall you are etc etc. I've met women who are a few weeks ahead of me and a bit smaller than me and women a month behind me and bigger! Aside from all that, in all the pics you've put up I can honestly say you DO NOT look huge and I really can't understand what people are going on about!! You really look completely normal sized and exactly where you should be for how far along you are...so ignore everyone and just enjoy your pregnancy. Try and look at the other side of the changes in your body...see it as a miracle and appreciate how amazing your body is in the way it is changing and adjusting in order to grow a whole new person!! Hope you feel better soon image .x.
  • Options
    I can't believe people think its right to say that - my family and friends know better. I'm coming at it fom another angle. I've put on about 15lbs and people say ...you don't look any different so that makes me think I must look "fat" all the time. I was 10st 4lb to start with so surely not.

Don't think we can win on this one. Let's try to embrace our bodies.
  • Options
    You poor thing. I am feeling the same and feel 'guilty' for it as this little one is so wanted but I am hating the fat feeling.

I completely empathise and can't think of anything to say except July/August will come around and we'll get our bodies back along with a gorgeous bundle to love.

Go easy in yourself

xxxx
  • Options
    oh thank you all so much for your feedback.

I know im being silly but I just cant help that.

I think going shopping and looking for a dress over the wekend didnt help, I just felt fat in EVERYTHING!

I was a size 10/12 (im tall) before I got pregnant, now a size 12 maternity is tight... and well barely fits!!! I even tried in one shop a size 14 maternity and it didnt fit! I just cried in the changing room!

A normal size 14 maxi dress did fit me in another shop but it was stretchy so thats little comfort! lol image

trixie - your Dr sounds lovely image

xxx
  • Options
    I'm the same hun had a little cry yesterday I feel so unattractive! I can't fit into anything!! I can no longer wear my work uniform so I'm having to wear my own clothes and one comment I got yesterday was 'just coz you are wearing black doesn't mean it makes you look slim' that was by a man of course! RUDE!! I put so much effort in yesterday to making myself look and feel better I did my hair and make up (1st time I've been bothered to do it for ages!!) but still got the comments you look so pale etc.. I'm a tiny 5ft 2 so every bit of weight I gain really shows. My husband pointed put to me yesterday that he has never been so attracted to me as I am growing a tiny person in my

tiny body just for me and him nobody else can take that away!!

At the end of the day hun we have another human growing inside us and it's hard work!! ignore all the stupid comments I get them everyday too!

We are doing a beautiful thing hun just remember that image

Xx
  • Options
    A lot of people don't seem to think before they speak and obviously don't realise how upsetting certain comments can be to someone else, let alone a highly emotional pregnant lady!

The old lady next door to us asked me the other week how long I had left, so I told her 15 weeks and she said "Oh you're quite big, aren't you?" As a matter of fact I don't think I am and at the time I was too shocked to say anything back... The other extreme is my clients at work: In an attempt to be polite they would say things like "I didn't even notice that you were pregnant" - Well it's either that or I've gotten rather fat of of a sudden!?

I don't think it matters what size you are as someone will always find some daft comment to make (to try and make conversation??) and I would definitely not listen to anyone's birth stories where they "nearly died" or whatever (why would you feel the need to dramatise your birth in front of someone who is about to go through it??).

Anyhoo, rant over lol. Being pregnant is something so special and such a precious time. You are doing an amazing job growing and nurturing this new little person inside you.