Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in July 09
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Scary time :(

Saturday was the worst day of my life my lo had a fit it happened so quickly, I lay her on the sofa next to my friend to out her PJ's on turned to get them turned back to see her little legs thrashing and her head shaking, My poor hubby was frozen with fear, I shouted at home to call 999 I picked her up and could see that she had swallowed her tongue and was not breathing, I put my finger in her mouth and for what seemed like forever I fought to release her tongue when I felt it move again I turned her over and gave her 2 sharp pats between her shoulders and then she cried I can not tell you how that felt.

My neighbour came in and told me how to put her in recovery and then 9 mins from calling the first response arrived and from then on I just lost it, she was such a good little girl in the ambulance she just kept smiling at the paramedic,

we stayed overnight and she was monitored no more fits thank god! they discharged us the only explanation being because she has had really loose nappies they said when babies are ill their little brains are over sensitive and this can cause a febrile convulsion

today she is still really loose and crying so ver unhappy, i am scared stiff even to leave her 5 mins, HV coming tomorrow to talk to me,

Oh what a time I just hope that over the next few days I can be less paranoid and start to believe that it was just a one off

xx

Replies

• Options
    OMG,I'm so sorry you had to go through that,it must've been the scariest thing you have ever gone through?
    Did your lo have a temp,as sometimes they convulse if they overheat? I don't blame you for being paranoid as i would be exactly the same!
    Hope she is better soon. (((Big hugs)))) xx
  • Options
    Hi Nik

that was the worrying thing she did not have a temp but was playing very happily chatting away to herself, she had loads of dirty nappies that day and her bottom was red raw at 3pm then at 3.30pm all blistered, that is why the doc said he felt is was a gastric bug and babies react.

I keep going over it in my head and I think when i laid her on the sofa she was a bit sick and may have choked on it, which made her panic and the rest of the horrible stuff that happened.

Her litlle bottom is still so sore I am keeping her nappy off and letting her kick about and have covered her in met cream the yellow stuff the nurses said it wss the best stuff to use.

I feel so down about it all I had a straight forward pregnancy and birth so this has been so traumatic my oh has to work in Brighton for a couple of days but is coming home each night but not getting home till late he is shattered bless him

I am going to see the HV at home tomorrow and I am going to talk through with her what happened I just need to get my head round it all so I can deal with it and put it aside and carry on as normal.

Hope that hand is getting better hun

xxxx
  • Options
    I am so sorry this has happened honey, you must have been so frightened I know I would have been in bits. My neice had a couple of fits and to this day they dont know why, my sister is just in a panic everytime her temp goes up and is always checking. It is such a worry and they can't tell you whats up either. I hope she is on the mend honey, take care xxx
  • Options
    Poor you,Ethan has such a sore bum at the moment and we use the same cream as you,it works wonders!
    Do you live in the South? I'm in Portsmouth.x
  • Options
    we live in Hertfordshire, how long does it usually take to clear the soreness? x
  • Options
    If you put it on after every nappy change it should be a few days,but if she is having loose nappies it maybe a bit longer.x
  • Options
    I am going to show the HV in the morning beause she has been loose since Friday, I have been letting her kick around without her nappy off she loves it weeing all over the place x
  • Options
    How terrifying for you! \You poor thing. I hope it was just a one off Flowerlands xxxxx
  • Options
    Hi Moony and Niblett, the doctor said there is no reason to think it will happen again so that is something I guess, it is reasurring when I hear other babies have only had it happen once.
    xxx