Forum homeβ€Ί Archived Birth Clubsβ€Ί My baby was born in July 2011
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

over bump or under bump

hey ladies I am gatecrashing from DIN - wanted some advise on maternity trousers x

I went shopping for maternity trousers today as none of my 'work' clothes fit me and my others are slowly getting tighter!

what a nightmare, none of my local area shops had anything....matalan had a few (Igot two tops), next which stocks is miles away will have to go again, ended up in mothercare and the range was crap!

so ended up buying a pair of smart tracksuit bottom lol....but they are soooooo comfy.

the question is the under bump trousers feel so weird,

what do you advise on getting, over or under...love to hear from some ladies who are passed the early days!

Joy

xxx

Replies

• Options
    I prefer under but I guess it depends on the shape of your bump! I can't stand the feel of anything restricting my bump so always wear things under it! I'm wearing things like skinny jeans and leggings under my bump with smock tops, vests and shirts over! Xx
  • Options
    G/C from DIMay, I found that under the bump ones were better earlier on but now in the late stages over the bump have been more comfortable.. Also leggins are great! lol I got 2 pairs of jeans from Next one under one over and that has lasted me along with leggings. I also think I'll be wearing the under the bump ones after LO arrives as they should be more comfortable than belts and buttons etc in those first weeks..

Hope that helps x
  • Options
    thank you girls x
  • Options
    i prefer over the bump. under the bump would just make me feel like theyre falling down the whole time. i also wore a lot of leggings and dress combos for ages though and still do. they will last you a while. xx
  • Options
    over the bump, definately!

My bump is all at the front, not at the sides. I bought some size 8 mat jeans before i even really had a bump (big mistake) im a size 8/10 normally but didnt know that in later pregancy really you need at least a size more than normal. Im 25+3 and they are unbarable. They squeeze my tummy so bad ive had to abandon them, they're under the bump. I dont know if its to do with bump shape but i actually measured 24cms by my midwife last week so slightly under average.

I cant find over the bump ones anywhere but asda on the high street and i dont like the drainpipe leg affect on those ones! Am reluctant to order online as i like to try jeans on first. I do have some over the bump black work trosers with an adjuster band (size 10 dorothy perkins) and they are so comfy - they adjust a lot and i can see they'll last. I have a couple of dorothy perkins mat dresses (one a size 10, one a 12) that im wearing either alone or with leggings depending on the weather and have got a few nice tops from topshop (vest tops 2 for 10 pounds) pumpkin patch sale and asda. Im going away to italy in june and have bought some very comfy over the bump shorts from h and m and have bidded on two broderie anglaise skirts (both over the bump) on ebay. This is all i have so far and i think i can cope if i find some jeans - you dont want to spend a fortune on maternity clothes after all.

I have seen some nice over the bump cargo trousers in h and m which ive tried on and which i may well settle for instead of jeans if i cant find any - let me know if you find some!

I have to say there is a massive hole in the market for maternity clothes in the uk and while im sure its much better than it used to be, in a lot of shops theres only a couple of pairs of jeans, black trousers, t shirts one summer top and a dress. Its a case of make do a lot of the time. But then as your bump grows there are really only a few styles that can be worn over it - I like the t dress look with a tie belt under your boobs (stops it looking like you're wearing a shapless tent!)

anyway, hope you manage a more successful shopping trip next time, its also worth trying red herring debenhams and next - i think asos online is supposed to be good too x
  • Options
    I love leggings image Especially my maternity jeggings image with smock tops on...i also love over the bump trousers for work as under bump trousers feel like they are falling down and also in the early days i wore the trousers with the stretchy bits in the sides and that worked but i had to get a size smaller than i am normally in them lol :P x
  • Options
    i do bumplover its so comfy, i havent even needed maternity ones yet as my normal ones feel so lovely - its like going out in my pjs after trying to squeeze into my horrible maternity under the bump jeans! Might wear them after ive had the baby when i still need loose clothing but its leggings all the way in later pregnancy i think image
  • Options
    finally found some fantastic over the bump jeans, very comfy, don't make me look twenty years older than i am, bootcut from debenhams red herring! ??30 reduced to ??24! They come in light blue or a darker blue. Feel happy as up until now could only get my bump in a dress or leggings and had bought some lovely maternity tops that were too short for leggings, so was worried id never get the wear out of them.

I MUST curb my maternity clothes buying now as pretty sure i have enough :lol: but have exhausted most of the ranges so pretty sure i have what i like most out of it all x
  • Options
    over the bump. I got some over the bump leggings and jeggings in peacocks and theyre super comfy xx