Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in July 2011
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

too tired to push???

hey,

I hope everyone is well and feeling cooler now the heat wave is passing?

I feel much cooler however I am so tired, I feel physically drained and so heavy and uncomfortable. It worries me as I just cannot imagine pushing a baby out into the world feeling this shattered.

I know it has to happen and our bodies are made for it, but isn't it strange how giving birth is probably the most physically demanding things a woman can do yet it happens at a time when we are at our most physically unfit?

I was so much fitter and energetic before pregnancy with going to the gym, running etc yet now I can hardly lift my whale like body off the sofa or turn over in bed and I am meant to push this baby out in less than 2 weeks????

anyone else feeling the same, or worried about not being fit enough to push???

39+6! 40 weeks tomorrow.......... x :?

Replies

• Options
    i hadnnt slept when i went in labour last time and when i came to push i had been up 28 hours, pushed for 3 hours, your body just takes over, having said that he was cut out after that as the little monkey was stuck, i managed it though!
  • Options
    I could have written this post myself, I am feeling exactly the same. Def a bit cooler now, but knackered!! I guess like PP says, your body just takes over, at least I hope it does.

One of the girls on our NCT course who had her little one yesterday morning, first baby, was in labour 7 hours and took just 6 mins to push her out!! Amazing!! She had a home water birth too and no gas and air or anything!! We're off to see them tomorrow, can't wait.

Zxx
  • Options
    I dozed off between contractons a couple of times. Just for seconds!
  • Options
    i hadn't slept for days with DS1, so I was exhausted when it came to pushing him out. i was pushing for 2 hours and i felt like i was going to sleep in between.

on my post natal notes i have written down as a reason for an episiotomy something to do with his head being in the wrong position and "maternal fatigue". so if you really are exhausted you will get a little help. but i remember when they said i only needed one more push, i found some energy from somewhere!! don't forget your body pushes naturally as well, you just go with it image

good luck xxxxxx
  • Options
    I know how you feel but your body is an amazing thing and does a lot of the work for you. With my first I was up at 6am starting off with contractions and my son was born at 12:35am after pushing for 27 minutes with TENS, gas and air and dyamorphine (sp) and I have a muscle condition too that weakens my muscles and causes fatigue but I found things just went so well, I did feel very lucky not to have any complications. I had a winter baby though last time and do worry about being very tired from the Summer heat this time round
  • Options
    thanks everyone,

I am hoping my body just kicks in.

I am feeling a little more energetic today, I may try to do a little walk to get things moving.

40+0! x
  • Options
    I too hope the body just kicks in with it's natural need to get the baby out and the adrenalin!

The heat is exhausting and even though it's cooled down I still can't manage a whole nights sleep and when I wake up feel like I have a massive hangover complete with headache... am looking forward to being able to have more sleeping positions at night once the baby has arrived!
  • Options
    oh yes, i can't wait to sleep on my back again!!!!!