Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in July 2011
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

car seat stress!!

I have been a bit stupid, and when taking the car seat apart to clean it I took the straps out completely. Im really struggleing to get them back in again, can get so far and then the thick bit of the strap gets jammed! I have an identical car seat so i can see exactly how it should go.

I rang the manufacturers and they realed of the spiel that i'd invalided the warranty and it would need to go back to the car seat engineer to have the straps re threaded through! At a cost of ??75! I told them i have an identical car seat so know how it should be and was going to get my other half to have a go with some pliers. They said they couldnt guarentee it would be safe. I feel like they're scamming me :roll: really wish id known i didnt need to take them out to wash the cover!! x

Replies

• Options
    G/C from DIS but sounds a tad on the dodgy side to me as many car seats are designed to be adjustable in this manner to allow for your child's growth and comfort. As for invalidating the warranty I trust there is something written clearly within the warranty to confirm this, otherwise you have a right to a claim.
  • Options
    sadly it has been given to us by a friend, i haven't got any paperwork. I know poeple say its dodgy to do this but a car seat is fine if its never been a crash and we know it definately hasnt.

The woman was asking me how old it is (im not exactly sure, told her 2 years)...I know she'd lecture me if i told her it was second hand. Its in their interests everyone has a new one!

She just kept shouting down the phone "can I reiterate, your husband is NOT a car seat engineer!" she got on my nerves. Im so stupid, wish i hadnt done it! Im going to get some pliers and have a go. x
  • Options
    Oh honey, I know those people are annoying (even if only doing their job). The car seat I will be using with my September baby is the same one I used for DD almost 2yrs before, they'd tell me I was taking chances but again I know it's in good condition. With DD she's always been long and they tried to tell me that I should leave her in a rear facing car seat, screaming her head off cause she was cramped, because she was slightly below the desired weight they reccommend for a forward facing seat. I left the store and bought the seat online with no questions asked. As long as you're not cutting the straps (which I'm fairly sure you're not), they fasten and remain so when tugged sharply then I'd say everything is just fine.
  • Options
    ah thanks for your help. OH has finally managed it after 2 HOURS of trying. He didnt cut anything but did take apart the clippers and put them together again. It all seems good as new and just the same as the other one.

He's proper naffed off with me though!

Makes me sad as Im only trying to get things nice for baby. Ive washed/bought/sorted everything for our LO except he built the flat packed cot (after lots of nagging) and bought baby a teddy bear. Feel fed up. Then got told off for the shelves being in the fridge in a different order - no thanks that ive cleaned and defrosted the fridge! I know im on maternity leave and he's at work but everything leaves me knackered and breathless now so it is all a bit of an effort :lol:

he's taking his nephew to see harry potter tomorrow as he's taken him to see all of them. So he's disappearing for the day despite me needing him to do stuff image he says he'll do it all sunday but thats our first wedding anniversary image oh well, tbh it will just be a lovely present for me if he gets things sorted.

Sorry for the moan! Have strayed from the subject a bit xxx
  • Options
    poor u I know what u mean about wanting everything nice for baby. Have been cleaning like crazy and my hubbie just comes in and throw his stuff where he likes. I know we are on mat leave but no excuse for them to be lazy :lol: