Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in July 2011
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Mad few weeks

Hey all,

It's been a mad few weeks for us. At my 34 week appointment with the midwife I was sent immediately to hospital as my fundal height measurements had shrunk by 4 weeks and my BP was 148/100, I also had ++protein in my urine.

The hospital sent me for a growth scan and said that they believed I had what is called a shrinking baby - a baby which is not growing. At the scan the sonographer was amazing and explained everything she was doing in great detail. She had a quick look before even doing any measurements as she could see how worried we were and was able to say he seemed perfectly fine. Which he was, it turned out that he was far from small and at 33+6 was measuring over 6lbs already!

I was then sent to be monitored by the hospital - having bloods done, urine checked and blood pressure checked. My consultant determined that I had preeclampsia and that I should be monitored by a midwife at home daily and then every few days in hospital. I was sent home.

My midwife came over the next few days and my BP was fluctuating between being too high and too low! I was having dizzy spells and was told not to drive or carry my LO up and down the stairs! They also advised I give up work but with only 2 days left until the summer holidays I carried on (I only work 2 days a week and one from home) - this means I will get paid until my due date and could return to work a year in September rather than in July next year.

At this point they decided that it is not preeclampsia as I am fluctuating between hypotension and hypertension which seems to be confusing them and at the moment I am stuck in limbo about what they are planning on doing with me. They have mentioned induction but no one seems to be able to actually take responsibility for creating a plan for me.

My midwife has told me that she thinks I will go into labour early anyway as he is FULLY engaged! Something which is apparently very unusual especially with second babies, I am also having very bad Braxton Hicks and (sorry tmi) very sharp pains on my cervix when he moves. I'm jumping every few minutes which is making my husband on edge! Ha.

I've noticed that there are loads of August babies that are already arriving. Congratulations to everyone! Its very exciting!

xxx

Replies

• Options
    hi artysmam!

i work with pregnant women and have to say your very high/very low bp fluctuations are very unusual!! How low does it go?

Ultimately if you regularly have BP with bottom number over 100 and also have protein they will have to treat you as someone probably brewing pre eclampsia (although the low BP readings are strange). At 34 weeks you are still 6 weeks from due date so your body will be put under more stress yet. Not trying to frighten you but i wouldnt be surprised if this baby needs to come early, one way or another! Did they take blood tests and send a 24 hour urine collection off? im guessing these things were ok for the moment or else you wouldnt have gone home. Hopefully labour will happen naturally, how many weeks are you now? Good to hear baby's growth is good. At 34 weeks i was 34 cms, then at 36 weeks (a few days ago) I was still 34. I need to put on at least 2 cms by 38 week appointment or ill be heading for a growth scan too. Always better to be safe though. Babies can get themselves in all sorts of wierd positions - as yours obviously has at 6 pounds and hiding it! I think women with a longer torso hide it well too and often end up needing a scan, only to find out all is well.

Anyway best of luck and please let us know what happens. Looking forward to your BS!!! xxx
  • Options
    It goes to 90/60 That's the lowest they've recorded! It seemed to throw them completely! I'm 35+3 today so have made it this far. Bloods have been taken and they keep taking them to compare them with the base line. Everything must be fine as they keep sending me home. They keep joking that I must have a hidden cavity that the baby slides into as my stomach is quite flat when I lie down!

I hope your measurements work out in two weeks! Xx
  • Options
    Hi both, I have been sent for a growth scan too, as at 35 weeks i was measuring 32! Going Tuesday- i have to say i am quite nervous about it but trying not to worry too much as i know that it is quite common at this stage.

I just hope baby is tucked up and growing well in there x