Forum home› Archived Birth Clubs› My baby was born in July 2011
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Anyone else really nervous now?!!!

Hi all,

I finish work today at 37 weeks and i am feeling quite nervous now about the birth! Its all suddenly becoming a bit real. It doesnt help that one of my work colleagues had a horrendous experience at the hospital where i am due to give birth.... which is making me even more apprehensive! How do you kick the nerves??!!! x

Replies

• Options
    im 39+3 and i def have moments where im close to freaking out. they usually happen at like 3am when i lay awake thinking of actually pushing a baby out of my hooha. yikes! im trying to really focus on the baby though and how happy i will be when hes out. but i do very much just want it over with now.
  • Options
    hi ladies im 37+1 and i have moments where im scared i wont cope. I work with women in labour which i think has helped, knowledge is definately power, i know how detrimental being scared can be as stress hormones can slow things down (although hard not to be stressed hearing that!) I work at a birth centre and have been privelaged to see some lovely births, in the water with a good supportive midwife staying there all the time, so i plan to go where i work as i know ill get these things.

I think preparation helps too (it helps me anyway) sorting bag, tens machine, stuff for labour)...not going into hospital for as long as humanly possible, so that when you get there, its good news and you feel like you're moving through it!

Nothing can really prepare you for what it will be like with your first though and none of us really know until we're in that situation, but i try and think its one day in your life - and its the only kind of pain that is really bad one minute, and totally disappears the moment you have your wonderful baby in your arms (and is all forgotten too).

xxx
  • Options
    I'm 37 weeks today with my first. I have been feeling ok and not too nervous, but knowing that there isn't months in between now and birth day!

Every twinge i'm nervous that it will be labour coming on and I am paranoid my waters will break, as i keep imagining baby falling out or something!!

Getting to the stage where I can't sleep (not only with the pregnancy) but with the nerves.

I'm finding it nerve racking because i keep the comments, 'you will know when it happens' i'm sure i will but when its your first sand don't know what it going to feel like, that source of info isn't helping.

Good luck to everyone on here!!
  • Options
    hi mrsjeh

i work with pregnant women and the fact is, a lot of people are unsure whether its happening or not so i totally agree the "you know when its happening" line is not much help!

With first babies its not unusual to have painful braxton hicks which are irregular for a couple of days, gradually getting stronger and more painful/longer lasting over that time. During this time you arent in labour, but the latent phase before laboour, where the cervix is shortening/softening ready to open up. Tens machines and warm baths are great during this time, its important to eat and drink regularly and rest in between where possible. Its usuually said if they're every 3 mins, lasting a min, and take your breath away its time to call (with second and subsequent babies they advise one in 5 mins, lasting a min and take your breath away).

It can be quicker than this (god i hope so for me!) there's definately something in the calmer you can be, and the longer you can stay in your own environment, the faster things seem to go - and ive found that women who get in the pool once thee in established labour seem to get through it quicker. If you're unsure what to do the unit you're delivering at will advise you if you ring them up - they're used to it and even if you aren't ready to go in, it helps them to have a heads up things are starting to happen for you.

Despite all my best advice i woke up to a big painful braxton hicks yesterday morning and lay there with bated breath in case labour was beginning - despit knwoing with a first that one pain is nothing, it needs to be in a pattern, long and strong and regular etc

xxx :lol: x