Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in July 2011
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Angry rant.....

Have just got back from seeing my Dr with Phoebe......

The Saturday before last I had to take Phoebe to the out of hours Dr's at our local hospital (Stafford, enough said) because she had a very white tongue and what looked like a white spot on the roof of her mouth and I was concerned that it was oral thrush. We saw a very nice Dr who did confirm that she did indeed that she had oral thrush and prescribed some medicine that she had to be spoon fed 4 times a day.

She ran out of the medicine last Saturday and she still had the same symptoms. I was concerned that as it hadn't cleared up she needed some more medicine. I took her to the baby drop in centre at my local surgery to see the "baby Dr". When I told him my concerns he asked me if I breast fed her, and said that it was likely to be milk stain. He looked in her mouth and confirmed that she did not have oral thrush and her tongue was milk stained!!!

He asked me who told me that she had thrush and I explained about the other DR. Iam so angry that I have for the last week forced my baby to take a medicine that she clearly didn't like for no reason at all :evil:

Replies

• Options
    Oh no, thats awful. To be honest, I can share you're frustrations with 'medical professionals'. I've been seriously let down by my midwifes and health visitors since I left the hospital - they kept failing to turn up to my home visits, they failed to advise me re. my son's sticky eyes, failed to weigh him several times and then claimed that my son had an issue gaining weight!

For the first 2 weeks of his life my son had a white tongue and me and my OH thought it was milk stain, but then a Dr mentioned that babies with a white tongue meant they had thrush. Now I'm continually paranoid thatv he may have thrush. The Dr checked it for me and said he doesn;t but I can still see a hint of white on his tongue, sometimes a few hours after he has fed, so I'm confused as to what to do.

I've also had a rash on my skin and I've seen 3 'medical professionals' so far and each ojne has told me something different - I'm losing faith in their advice to be honest.

• Options
    Hi, if she had a white spot (a proper spot that didn't wipe off with a little boiled water, as milk would) then she may have had thrush and the medicine might have cleared it by the time you went back.

William had oral thrush when he was in special care and his didn't clear for ages (three weeks and two bottle of medicine later!). We were told that it's very hard to tell the difference between milk and thrush spots; the only way to tell is to try and wipe what might be the milk/spots off (not easy with a newborn) so I wouldn't be too angry. The likelihood is that she did have it and the first medicine cleared it up.
  • Options
    Hope you feel better for ranting image

I could bitch all day about how much GPs have annoyed me over the years. They're just too trigger happy to dish out drugs, mostly without a diagnosis.

GPs here's a tip - don't guess, try and problem solve!!!

Hope Phoebe is OK now image
  • Options
    Phoebe is doing great.... Her tongue is still white but then she is feeding all the time! The spot on her pallet seems to have gone. image