Forum home› Archived Birth Clubs› My baby was born in July 2011
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Expressing

Hey folks,

Just wondering how anyone who expresses goes about it.

Last Sat, I expressed after a feed and got 2oz, which MasterG was happy to guzzle from a bottle in about a minute at his next feed, then I put him back on my boobie to finish the feed and it was fine.

I've been expressing once a day since then (trying to stock up for being away at my cousins hen doo next month) and I've only been getting between 1 and 2oz each time.

I've made my peace with only getting small amounts and it taking a while for me to get the stocks up, but what I'm not sure about it what sort of quantities I need to make.

Based on him taking those first bottled 2oz in such a short space of time, does that mean that he needs much much more than that of a feed?

How many oz does your BF baby take at a feed if you've expressed?

This is making me realise that time away really needs to be worth it to bother with all this stockpiling!

Interested to hear any methods...

xx

Replies

• Options
    i express when DD has gone to bed, i get about 3oz in about 20 mins, she will take about 6oz of expressed milk at the moment, the most efficient time is during the night and if you express on one breast whilst baby feeds from the other it helps flow too
  • Options
    not sure if this is helpful (i'm combine feeding this time as i can't imagine finding time with two kids to express) so finley has one bottle at 6pm of formula. he drinks 5oz-6oz.

the only problem we're having is, that no matter how much he drinks, he still wants to breastfeed to settle himself before falling asleep. i was hoping he'd take a bottle then sleep for a while so i can go out if ever i needed, but right now he's not allowing me to do that and i feel he's too tiny to deny him yet!! what a pickle!

I hope your expressing continues to go well and you manage to biuld it up enough to have a very good, well deserved, night out! x
  • Options
    I get most if I express in the morning when my breasts are most full. I tend to get about 5-6oz off one side, then I let Phoebe feed from the other. Not sure how much she actually takes, will find out next week when I have to leave her for a whole day! x
  • Options
    Thanks for info.

MrsJones, would be great to hear how you get on next week...

xx
  • Options
    Hi i have been expressing my milk for the last 3 weeks as hubby wanted to do the morning feed. I express in the morning and last thing at night. Phoebe can quite easily polish of 6oz from the bottle but struggles with 7.... hope this helps.
  • Options
    So yesterday I left Phoebe with my parents for about 9 hours with 5 pots each with about 6oz of milk. She drank 2 of those in that time, which didn't seem a lot. Today I left her for the same time and she had 3. I guess how much she eats depends on the day! x