Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in July 2011
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Is this a growth spurt??

Phoebe has been on a 4 hour routine for the last few weeks feeding at 7am,11am,3pm and 7pm. It was working a treat but as of last Friday she has been a little monkey having screaming fits and being a bit fussy. She has been feeding for up to 50 mins at a time which is about 20 mins longer than usual and last night before bed the was feeding for AN HOUR.....

Hubby thinks she may be having a growth spurt as she is 12 weeks on Friday. Do you think the extra time spent feeding is enough for her or should I be dropping back to 3 hourly feeds.

The other problem is I think that she may be teething. We noticed little spots on her lower gum line which the HV confirmed were the start of teeth at 10 weeks. She is dribbling loads and sucking her fists. Today she has really rosy cheeks and looks generally under the weather. Should I try her on the paracetamol that the Dr prescribed for her after her jabs???

I'm sooooo confused

Replies

• Options
    I cant help with the BF part but my Phoebe is teething too and we have used the dentinox teething gel and a dose of calpol if she seems like she is in a lot of discomfort. Phoebe is being very fussy with her feeds too, except that she seems to not want to feed at all. She takes just a couple of ounces before she gets all fussy again! The Dr said that feeding issues are part and parcel of teething. I think the only thing you can do is try feeding her more often and see how she responds. The only thing is I have found the downside to feeding Phoebe little and often rather than sticking to a schedule is that she is waking up more and more during the night image
  • Options
    Hi, I can't really help with the BF part either, but Jazmine has been on a bit of a growth spurt too. She was having a bottle every 3 hours, however this last week it has been every 2 -2.5 hours. She was 12w Fri just gone.

There is another thread on here re teething. I can't remember who, but someone mentioned an amber teething necklace. I have just ordered one off Amazon to give it a go when the time comes. Not sure Jazzie is teething at the mo, however she is dribbling, blowing bubbles and putting most things in her mouth and apart from the extra feeds this week, she isn't really grissly at all (hope I haven't spoken too soon now! :lol: )

Zxx
  • Options
    12 weeks is a time for growth spurts i think...

finley is 14 weeks and constantly feeds every 2-3 hours day and night and has done for weeks, sometimes we get a 4-5 hour stint between 8 and 2... i don't think i'd physically or emotionally cope with him feeding more often....
  • Options
    gggrrr i just replied to this!

we have gone from one night feed to three or four this week, down to two last night, i have just let her feed when she has needed to and figure she'll fall back into her routine soon enough,

we have got DD a teething necklace which is really helping, persoanlly i wouldnt give paracetamol unless she was in pain, but if you feel she needs it it wont do her any harm x
  • Options
    DS was the same last week and he is exclusively breastfed, feeding much more frequently day and night and for really long durations. Usually he feeds for 20 mins but was getting up to 50 mins sometimes...my poor nipples! It was definitely a growth spurt as he was weighed last friday and had put on double the amount he usually puts on in the same amount of time.

I would just continue feeding her on demand for a few days, so don't maker her wait until her usual feed times bc if you leave her too long she may get frustrated and be fussy with the feeds.

Fingers crossed he's settled down this week and seems to have got into a 3 hourly routine of feeding, playing and sleeping, and he's dropped one of his late evening feeds. Let's hope we've turned a corner....

x x
  • Options
    Had a real blow o Tuesday :cry:

Phoebe has put on NO weight at all in 2 weeks so my growth spurt is out of the window...

Feeling a bit down
  • Options
    Oh no, sorry to hear that hun. Did the Health Visitor have any ideas what has caused her to not put on any weight?

Maybe it is the start of teething that has caused her to feed more, I've got a feeling that DS is munching on my nipples to ease the pain he is feeling from the start of teething.