Forum home› Archived Birth Clubs› My baby was born in July 2011
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Weaning?

Has anyone thought about starting weaning yet? Not sure when to start Phoebe (I only know it wont be before she is 4 months). She is so difficult with her feeds, we had about 10 days of her feeding really well and now we are back to her just taking 3/4 oz and then refusing to take any more. Im currently feeling the pressure from my mom and MIL to start weaning because they think she will do much better on food. In truth she has always disliked milk and she is feeding every 2-3 hours (even at night) so there may be some truth in that, but I dont want to get it wrong and start too early. Anyway, how is everyone else getting on?

Replies

• Options
    Hi GB, we were going to start in a week or two, but after reading various books and getting some advice, think we are going to leave it closer to when she is 6 months.

Its mostly down to personal preference though, as well as being able to sit and hold head up properly etc.

Hope Phoebe's feeds settle down soon for you.

Zxx
  • Options
    We have been trying baby rice, which she loves! We're starting to try a few different vegetables now, but just to get her used to different tastes really. We've had varying amounts of success! I wouldn't say we're 'weaning' just having a play around with it, she's still getting the same amount of milk. I'd say do whatever you feel comfortable with don't be pressured into it if it's not what you want to do.
  • Options
    Hi GB, I've been wondering about when people would be weaning too.

Matilda feeds much the same way as Phoebe, and I have given up stretching the time between feeds as as soon as she is hungry you would think she was starving!

The books I have advise guidelines of 6 months but also give advice from 4 months if your baby is showing signs of wanting to be weaned. Matilda seems quite interested in what I eat etc so I think when she is 4 months I may try a bit of baby rice once a day, for a week and see how we go.

Would love to know what others are doing.
  • Options
    Weaning seems to the big topic at the moment. My Phoebe is 4 months today but Iam waiting until she is 5 months before I start and will start on baby porridge for breakfast to see how we go. If she takes to it well I will think about other foods. Im really looking forward to it image
  • Options
    Im looking forward to it too, albeit apprehensively - but then what else is new?! I think I must be the most neurotic mother on the planet because everything worries me! I wasnt like that before Phoebe! I think when I do start it will be with baby rice, and then im going to add fruit/veg puree to the baby rice before building up to three proper meals. I have also decided (after watching my friend wean her baby) that I am not going to start making my own foods until she is 6/7 months old, instead I am going to use the pureed organic foods. The reason for this is firstly because they are completely smooth - much smoother than I could do at home, therefore the risk of choking is minimized, and secondly because they are completely sterile. xx
  • Options
    It certainly does seem to be the hot topic - all the Mum's at the new Mum and baby group I have been going to are talking about it. I think everyone is unsure when is best to start - I am in two minds about it myself as well.

Ella seems ok at the moment on her milk and I am keen not to start too early I think like Z I am going to wait till she can support her head and sit up. We are lucky that Ella seems to like her milk and generally takes it well. I think we are going to start in about 4 weeks (Ella is 16 weeks now) with some porridge in the morning with her milk.

I agree with Glitterbug tho and I will be using the pureed organic foods as they are sterile and smooth. Good luck tho I would be interested to hear how you get on! x
  • Options
    Hi Ladies,

Been away for a couple of days on a bloomin course for an exam I have to take for work (yes, whilst on mat leave- joy!) so been a bit out the loop... reading what you guys are saying is really interesting. Personally I feel you have to do whats right for you and your little one. I am doing exactly what I did with my DD as she now eats so well- there is not a vegetable she wont eat so must have done something right the first time!! Sure my DS will prove me wrong on that point though! My DS is now 17 weeks and for the last week I have been giving him baby rice at lunch- not replacing milk just in addition to it- he is thoroughly enjoying it- laughs his head off! Next week I will start pureeing apple, carrot, pear etc and putting some in the rice and go from there. I must admit I always made my own with my DD and never had a prob getting it really smooth- I just use to make sure the hand blender was sterilised in boiling water before every use- I was a massive fan of making big batches and freezing in ice cube trays for nice handy small portions. I don't know though- it really is down to what suits you, genuinely don't feel there are right and wrong answers.

Hope everyone's well and babies are good X
  • Options
    hi,

I just wrote my own post on solids before I read this one!

I am making my own food for now, but I am certainly not against the bought stuff too. My DD loved the ella's kitchen flavours - really nice mixes!

I didn't, and don't now for my DS, sterilize my blender, spoons or bowls. I figured finley now rolls around on my floor, chewing on every toy he can get his hands on so a bowl washed in fairy-up liquid is probably cleaner than his dribbled on toys!

I hope everyone enjoys the weaning stage! I had a few issues with my DD so am excited to have a different (hopefully more positive) experience with finley! I have enjoyed mushing up banana, he even enjoyed the lumps!

xx
  • Options
    Hey Ladies!

We did Baby Led Weaning with MissG from 6 months, and plan on doing the same with MasterG, so looking forward to January 12th image

I've still never pureed anything, just gave her whatever we were eating. She's a wee eating champion now, so would thoroughly recommend that if you feel you can wait until 6 months to start weaning, then go for Baby Led.

Good luck to everyone.

xx