Forum home› Archived Birth Clubs› My baby was born in July 2011
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Weaning....Again - sorry!!

Hi Ladies, sorry some more questions on weaning.

Jazmine has been having purees for about 2 weeks, at lunchtime. She has had apple, pear, banana, mango, sweet potato etc etc. We have been using the Ella's Kitchen pouches for now. One pouch lasts 2 days running. However, one lunchtime she seemed particularly hungry so had the whole pouch. image

We have been tying in the feed with her milk, generally before her bottle. My question is, when to move on to 2 or 3 meals a day and does it matter if it is with her bottle or say an hour before or after?

Some of the purees have made her windy and more pooey!, so was thinking I don't want to give her one too late as she will perhaps be uncomfortable at night and wake up needing nappy changes? When should the last "meal" be do you think?

I have a few books on weaning, but I still feel pretty clueless with it all. image

The only good thing is that Jazzie has loved everything we have tried so far, literally grabbing the spoon and forcing it into her mouth! Bless her!!

Any advice welcome - thank you!

Zx

Replies

• Options
    g/c when we started weaning my ds we started with lunch as u are doing for about 2 weeks, then introduced breakfast. this meant ds was getting 2 solid meals but avoided him having a heavy tummy at bedtime. i used to do milk first thing, then half hour later or thereabouts some baby cereal/smooth porridge. i then added small quantities of different fruit puree to the cereal to vary the taste. with lunch time i had to give ds his 'solid' meal about 45 mins before milk feed as otherwise he guzzled the milk and had little appetite for the lunch. obviously this may not work exactly for you, but i would recommend introducing breakfast rather than tea when u want to add a second meal xx (i introduced a small tea at about 4:45/5pm about 5 weeks into weaning)
  • Options
    Thanks for advice, much appreciated. Zoe xx
  • Options
    Its a nightmare isn't it!!!

Ive started today but only in as far as replacing boob for bottle. Ive breast fed now for 5 months and think that she has made the decision for me!!!!

Im a little bit sad to be giving up the boob but am looking forward to starting the solids!!!

My plan is to drop the 11:30 and 15:30 feed for the next 2 weeks and then after drop the breakfast and nighttime feed.

I would love to continue but am back at work in February so have to get this nailed!
  • Options
    Hello!!

Sorry for not being on much, I have my parents over for the next week for Christmas visit! It is a busy time!

I will reply in the new year in more detail and catch up with the threads!

As for weaning, we moved really quickly onto three meals a day as Finley is a hungry baby and is loving his food.

our day goes like this...

7am bottle

8.30am breakfast

11am bottle

12.30pm lunch (whole ella's kitchen pouch or similar amount of my own food)

2pm bottle

4pm dinner

6pm bottle

He loves eating!

hope this helps, I would move to 2 or 3 meals as and when your little one starts wanting more food.

xxx
  • Options
    we have added a meal a week now on two and onto 3 next week, i have not dropped any BF and do not intend to for some time unless she says otherwise image