Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Jun 2012
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Maternity Allowance help

Does anyone know anything about Maternity Allowance payments that you claim from the job centre?

I have worked with my current employer since 2005, last year I left to work for another company but came back 3 weeks later! Not only have I now missed out on the company's enhanced package for long term employees, I have also learnt that I don't qualify for SMP either! All of this I have learnt from listening to conversations; no one has actually spoken to me directly yet!

I know that MA is paid for 39 weeks and you can claim from 14 weeks before your due date. Do you get any of the 39 weeks at the higher rate like you do with SMP?

Also whilst you are on leave, being paid the MA do you still accrue holiday with your employer?

Any info you have is greatly appreciated.

Much love and thanks from a very confused mummy to be!

xx

Replies

• Options
    I'll be getting MA this time. Got SMP with previous two so it's quite new to me too. It's the same amount as SMP, just applied for and paid in a different way.

I thought you needed 26 weeks continuous service, not necessarily with the one employer, to qualify for SMP? Could be worth getting onto your bosses image
  • Options
    You need 26 weeks with the same employer up and until the 26th week of your preg to qualify for smp (I've been made redundant and paid in lieu til end of Jan but started work with new employer first week of Jan so no gaps in fact an overlap but can only get MA) its rubbish because you dont get any at a higher rate. Maternity leave is available to anyone no matter how long they have been in a job and you are still classed as working so accrue holiday in the normal way. Uou can start mat leave from 29 weeks x
  • Options
    I read earlier that you could start MA 14 weeks before due date and with 4 weeks holiday to use I could technically leave in 2 weeks! I won't though as need to save as much money as poss before bubs arrival, but it's a nice thought!

It just sucks, I was pretty much told I would get the enhanced package when I came back, but it's done now and there is nothing I can do to change it. I have even surprised myself at how calm I am about it - usually I would be really worked up by now. Oh how pregnancy can change you!

xx
  • Options
    I think its 11 weeks befits due date (let me know where you read different) you will have more holiday than that if you want it, can take a years worth st once x
  • Options
    I had read it wrong, you can put your claim in 14 weeks before and can be started 11 weeks before.

At the start of the week I want to work for as long as possible, but come Friday I can't wait to leave!
  • Options
    That is really rubbish mrs griff. I think MA and SMP are the same apart from that you don't get the first 6 weeks at 90% on MA. How frustrating though when you've been there so long ba the 3 week gap. Companies will wriggle out of whatever they can though. There's a guy in my team who handed in his notice after a bad week but tried to wi draw it 3 days later but the company held him to it and now he is on a 3 month temp contract which means he'd get no benefits if made redundant etc. Companies just want to save money no matter how much they claim to be about their people,