Forum homeβ€Ί Archived Birth Clubsβ€Ί My baby was born in Jun 2012
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Baby shower?

Just wondering if any of you lovely ladies are having/ have had a baby shower?

One of the girls from work wants to throw me one in May which is very exciting as I didn't have one last time (was working mainly with blokes then who frankly didn't care image ). I must admit I have no idea what happens at one though! Do we just sit there eating cake and chatting? Or are there some games to play? Will there be presents and I should be making a gift lift or something?

I was thinking maybe get everyone to guess baby's birth date and weight for example... Should there be a prizes to be won?

Would love to get some ideas!

Replies

• Options
    my sister and friends want to throw me one. i have never been to one so no idea what happens at them lol. but love the idea of guessing date and weight will be taking notes lol x
  • Options
    Hi,

I'm having one....only because I didn't have one last time as my DD came 3 weeks early (it was all planned too!) I'd say have it at least 4 weeks before your due date. Baby Shower Etiquette says that generally you only have one baby shower, usually for your first child.

I've been to many and hosted 3 myself for friends of mine.

The general idea is to have a little gathering/chat and play some games. I've done a buffet for two of them and for the third I did tea and cakes.

Most guests will bring a gift but if you felt uncomfortable with that you could ask for no gifts or if you didn't know the sex and wanted people to wait to buy a gift you could ask the host to pass along this message. I think a gift list is a good idea as then you'll get things you really need image

HTH xxx
  • Options
    Hi There

I had a surprise baby shower on Saturday that my lovely hubby had organised for me. To be honest I think there were too many people there - about 15 but he didnt want to leave anyone out.

We provided a buffet of sandwiches, wraps and pasta and some friends brought cup cakes and cookies. We played a quiz called who knows mummy best? It has questions like:

When is her birthday?

Whats her favorite film?

Favorite baby names? etc

Hubby had bought these but you could easily make it up yourself.

We then played pin the dummy on the baby and how big is mummy's bump with some string.

We know the sex of baby but had choose not to tell anyone, we received lots of lovely gifts but as we had most of the big stuff we needed we got blankets and wee outfits for gifts.

Hope this helps.
  • Options
    I think I'll be having my first ever one this time around as a friend has offered to organise it. I've never been to one before though so am also a bit in the dark! She has suggested some silly baby/mummy related games with tea/fizz and cakes.
  • Options
    I'd love to have one but don't think hubby would think of it and I'm the first of my close friends to have a baby so it's not on their minds :cry:

I've seen pics of peoples where they have put stuff in nappies (like marmite!) and the mummy to be has had to guess what it is!!

Hope you have a lovely time at yours x
  • Options
    Thanx everyone - Some great ideas!

Do you think it will be ok to write a wishlist then for gifts? I don't mean that nasty or picky, but as it's our 2nd we have loads of essentials and just need a few specific bits really (bottle teats, bedding, towels etc and a few gender specific clothes since we'll know by then)

• Options
    I think wish lists are agree tides but am always wary about the etiquette of letting people know you have one. With dd2 I did set one up with mothercare but only told my sister about it in the end as I felt too awkward!! I guess if you're having a baby shower though people may ask if there's anything you need and then in some ways it's less embarrassing to direct them to a wish list than listing a load of stuff out.

It's not quite the same but I set one up at Christmas for each DD as family and certain friends are always asking for present ideas and it just made it easier as I put a wide variety of things on there so all different budgets were covered instead of me making any kind of assumption. I've just updated it for their birthdays so anyone who asks I just send to amazon!

On that note, one handy way of doing a wish list is setting one up on amazon and using their universal wish list tool so you can add stuff from any website/retailer.

I may set a baby one up so if anyone's looking for the girls birthdays they'll see the baby one too if they're interested! :lol:

Annoyingly though the main thing we need and can't afford is furniture for the nursery so I really want mamas and papas vouchers but that's somewhat more clinical to ask for I think....
  • Options
    Was discussing the baby shower yesterday with the girl who is organising it and she told me that if I don't just shut up about it and let her do it then I won't be invited :lol:

I'm really not good at taking a back seat.... I like organising stuff and being involved rather than a surprise image

• Options
    LOL! i know that feeling Spring!! The girl who said she's organise mine hasn;t mentioned it since and the control freak in me wants to get a date in the diary and send out some invites but don;t want to tread on her toes!! She's on holiday until Easter now though so maybe when she gets back it's a more reasonable time to prompt!!