Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Jun 2012
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Newborn Essentials

To all the second plus timers - what do you REALLY need for a newborn??

Thought you might be able to compile a wee list for us first timers of what we need in the way of clothes, bathing, feeding etc

Any advice would be great!!

Replies

• Options
    Off the top of my head, clothes, somewhere to sleep (but moses baskets don't last long), somewhere to put them down in the day (you could use a moses basket or a bouncy chair...), car seat, pram, blankets. Nappies, wipes, something to wash them with in the bath/top and tail. That's about it I think! Non essentials I'll be getting are a baby wrap carrier, and I guess a bath support is a non essential x
  • Options
    Cotton wool for the first coup,e of weeks as you're not recommended to use wipes at first, just cooled boiled water for nappy changes (although tbh I never actually bothered with boiling, just used luke warm tap water - how much harm can tap water do their bum ffs?!).

For you, maternity pads, breast pads, nipple cream (the lansinoh stuff is BY FAR the best one. Don't waste money othe others). Take big pants and a nighties to hospital as well as normal pants and pjs, just on case you have a section.

Don't buy too many newborn size clothes as if you have a baby over 8ish lbs they will literally fill them from the get go so you'll be in 0-3 before you know it!

As our bubs are to be born in hopefully warmer weather, as long as you're house isn't freezing, don't worry about having loads of vests etc as after a coup,e of weeks they prob won't need them. You'll need more in the bigger sizes going into autumn.