Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in June 2010
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Am I overfeeding???

Guys,

Please can I have your advice as I'm sat here in tears...

Hubby has just come back from pub and said one of his mates got a shock at the size of Evie earlier today and thinks we are feeding her too much. So I'd like to know what you think - this is the rough routine:

8.30am - 8oz bottle

9.30am - 1 and a half tablespoons porride with fruit puree or half a weetabix

12.00pm - 1/2 jar stage 2 baby food and a petit filous

2.30pm - 7oz bottle

5.00pm - 1/2 small jar fruit puree

7.00pm - 8oz bottle

Does this seem about right for a 6 and a half month old? She is a big girl and has always been on around the 91st centile but we weighed her today and she is heavier than my friend's 10 month old.

Hubby's issue is that she never gets to the point where she's crying for food, cos the clock always beats her to it. My worry is that if we feed on demand, I wouldn't know whether to give her a bottle or solids, and that my routine will just go out of the window and I won't know whether I'm coming or going.

All books I've read / advice I've been given is that they should be on 3 solid meals a day by 7 months (and that once you start on 3 meals you shouldn't go backwards as that's confusing) but that they still need 20oz formula daily until they're 1 year old.

Do you all wait til your LO's are crying for food?

Please help..... I feel like such a bad mother xx

Replies

• Options
    Thank you for your advice BabyGaffer that's reassuring. I think I'll try reducing her 3 bottles to 7oz a day then she's taking slightly less milk. It's just I don't know at what point she would actually stop eating, she always finishes what I make up for her as though she would eat more if it was there!

Here's hoping it gets easier... xxx
  • Options
    Hi, gatecrashing from may, although my lo came in June in the end. Please don't worry, some people can be so silly with there comments and dont realise what harm they cause! My boy has always been a big boy, never ever looked his age, even at 8 weeks he looked like a little boy not a baby. I used to be really paranoid about it as people always used to comment on it, and as i am bigger i didn't want him going down the same path. However i now think sod it, i feed him a very healthy diet and he is taller than average too. Oli eats very similar to your lo except he has pudding at tea time too and three 8 0z bottles!!At his last weigh in when he was about six months he weighed 21 pounds!! He does weigh more than some of the ten month old babies at group too, but he doesnt look overweight. He is shooting up even more and as he is starting to move a lot i think it willl even out. Please don't worry you are doing what is right by your baby as you know best. x
  • Options
    i replied on the other thread? thought my reply had disappeared there! x