Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in June 2010
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Dream feed tips?

Its me again,

I have finally (fingers crossed) got dylan in some sort of night rountine, he has a bottle at 7 and is asleep about 8. Which is really good compared to his usual bedtime of 10 o'clock. He has been lasting for a feed anytime from 7 to 1.30-3am. I think if he has a feed at 10 he may last longer (hopefully) lol.
We tried to give him a feed at 10 the other night and he was flat out and would not suck on the bottle. Do you have to completely wake them up foir it to work?

I was abit scared of waking him up becuase we have only just got him to settle to bed earlier.

Anyone got any tips how to do this?

Thanks again

Gemma xxxx

Replies

• Options
    Hey hun

My ds was the same to start with..i could not get him to take the dream feed at all. Someone told me to try changing his nappy but i thought that sort of defeats the purpose of him been asleep so instead i switch the hall way light on and carry him in a upright position to our room then i have the light off but the tv on low... it seems to arouse him just enough for him to suck the bottle but not wake up.

He still wakes for a feed at 2 and 5 though :lol: Milk Monster! xx
  • Options
    Hi, ive been in the same position, bedtime was later, but she was sleeping till 5, so i was worried about losing hours in the morning if she went down earlier... but we've been in a night time routine for a few weeks with a dream feed, and she's sleeping from 7ish until 7ish.
    goes a bit like this...
    anywhere from 7-8 -bed bottle, depends on timings during the day really, i try to give a beakfast, mid morning, lunch, tea and bed bottle then
    10,11 ish, dreamfeed. initially, it took a while for her to be interested, i spent a while, getting her to open her mouth,bringing the teat over the tip of her nose then mouth, then when she opened her mouth but wouldn't suck i would move it backwards and forwards slowly to stimulate her sucking reflex and voila, dreadfeed! did take a while on the first few feeds though but now she "gets" it straight away. she usually takes between 3-5 oz.
    at the beginning i was so quiet, didn't change her nappy, etc, but she was soaking in the morning, so ive been changing it before the feed, switching th tv on, feeding and burping her and she doesn't open her eyes!
    getting a full night's sleep is magic and i finally feel like my old self again!
    good luck, it doesn't work for everyone, but it did for us xxxx
  • Options
    It takes a while for them to cotton on to a dreamfeed so keep trying and they'll soon master it.

I started with a bottle, took a while had to make sure the teat was full, and wiggled it for a good 20 mins in his mouth before he drunk the entire bottle (its was ebf not formula). I later read that if LO doesnt take the bottle straight away then try again 5 mins later as they maybe in too deep a sleep to take the df. I also read you can try stroking their palm to take the feed. It only took a couple of nights with ds to master the ebf feed that we than switched to a df from the boob - takes it every time. If they wake up dont worry, ds falls straight back asleep!

Hth x
  • Options
    thanks for the advice girls gona give it a whirl tonight and see how it goes xx