Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in June 2010
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

My BS

Pheebs the G-raffe! image 1 1/2 days old
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash1/hs557.ash1/32485_10150213812610179_711515178_13080889_1954986_n.jpg

2 1/2 days old..
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash1/hs557.ash1/32485_10150213812645179_711515178_13080892_6947852_n.jpg

Replies

• Options
    ADVERTS
    .BIRTH STOREY OF BABY PHOEBE ISABELLE V***

BORN ON 12TH JUNE AT 8.07PM - WEIGHING 7lb 14oz

Hi ladies,

I have a very sleepy baby so i thought whilst she's sleeping i'd get my BS down while it's still fresh in my mind...

It's quite honest, so i don't want to put anyone off, so if you haven't had your baby and you think reading my story might scare you please don't read on, however, it ends very happily and i would do it all again, so please don't be too put off!

the only way i can describe my experience was... HORRIFIC!! however, saying that it was also the best day of my life, and totally worth it, because the feeling after she was born was truly amazing!

It started on Saturday 12th June (yesterday) i woke up at 5am... and was having slight waves of pain, so i timed them, they were between 10 and 20 minutes apart but very mild and by 6.30am i had fallen back to sleep, i was woken up at 8am by a phone call from the city hospital asking me if i wanted to come in for Induction - i didn't really but i was so fed up, the pains had gone and i decided to just go, so they asked me to come in straight away, hubby and i got up, showered and dressed and were on our way to the hospital by 8.45am... it was about a 20 minute drive...On the way in the car, i started to get painful tightenings, but didn't think for one minute that they were contractions, it seemed too coincidental to go into labour on my own after 11 days over on my way to be induced!

We arrived at the hospital at about 9.15am and i met the midwife who would be looking after me for the day, she explained the ways to induce and that we would be trying the gel first, and if that didn't work i would be hooked up to a drip which would make me have very intense painful contractions, one on top the other.. i REALLY didn't like the sound of that!! she explained that it can take days to induce so hubby would probably be sent home at 9pm, by this point i was really not looking 4wd to it, i asked her if i was having actual contractions would i still be induced, she said yes, most probably.. i was gutted as i was hoping she would say if i was in labour in my own i could go home and then go to the birthing centre for my water birth.. no such luck!!

She hooked me up to the CTG and recorded baby and my tightenings for a while, then after about an hour, she did an internal examination and got the gel ready to insert, but when she started the exam she told me she couldn't give me the gel because i was dilated 4cm already! and she couldn't put the gel in incase it got into the baby as that wasn't safe, she said my cervix wasn't quite in the right position yet but it was soft and stretchy and that i had 'niggled' my way to 4cm.. I was pretty pleased to hear i had dilated on my own, as i was gutted i hadn't gone into labour on my own and had to be induced, i felt like my body had failed me! She said the best thing to do was to break my waters as it would speed things up, so she inserted her hook and tried for about 10 minutes to break my waters, she said she felt like she had nicked the membranes several times but no water came out so she couldn't be sure if she had or not, but she assumed she had, she said she was happy to leave me a while and see if i would progress on my own, so she sent me out to walk around the hospital grounds for a couple of hrs, so off me and hubby went for a walk...

we came back in at 2pm, the midwife examined me and i was 5-6cm.... i was over the moon!! cuz contractions weren't too bad at this point, i had to breath through them but they were bearable - the midwife tried again to break my waters but again no water came out, she said if she hadn't broken them then they were made of boot leather! image

I spent another hour or so on the CTG machine, then about 3.30pm i was moved to my own delivery room, and was given the gas and air as contractions were very very painful by now and i was struggling to breath through them anymore.... i tried the gas and air but it didn't touch the pain, all it was was a slight distraction, and after a while it was just an annoying distraction, so i stopped using it. i was really struggling by this point, and wondering how i was going to get through it if it was still gonna take a long time, during some of the contractions my body was really pushing/bearing down and there was nothing i could do to stop it... during one contraction where my body was bearing down so hard my waters popped and i felt them soak the bed, my husband, Adam went to tell the midwife as she had left me to it for a while, she came back in and examined me, she confirmed my waters had broken and i was fully dilated! i was so pleased cuz i thought it cant be much longer now if i am fully dilated, and i couldn't have coped with the pain for much longer if it got any worse, it was already more than i could take..but i thought if im fully dilated i could get through it as i could see the end in sight.

The midwife said the babies head still hadn't come down enough but if i felt the urge to bear down then i could try pushing, so with every contraction i got about 3 pushes in but nothing was happening and i was really struggling with the pain, after about 30 minutes of pushing it was around 5.30pm and nothing was happening, the midwife said my contractions were getting weaker and shorter and that i would need a syntocinon drip to make my contractions longer and stronger, i nearly cried when she said that cuz they were already about 1000 times more painful than i could handle! The midwife injected my wrist with anaesthetic and inserted the needle for the drip, it took about 15 minutes to start having an effect but once it did, MAN OH MAN was it painful, i was crying out in pain with every contraction! they were so intense and nearly one on top the other, pushing was sooooo hard and i just couldn't get the hang of it, the midwife kept trying to put her finger where she needed me to push all the energy into but i just couldn't do what she was telling me too, but i had to push cuz whilst pushing it slightly relieved the pain of the contraction... i was pushing for another 2 hrs... and with every contraction i was waiting for the midwife to say she could see the head, but she never did, i was getting so frustrated, i felt like i was pushing for nothing!

After 3 hours of pushing i had nothing left, i just couldn't do it anymore, the midwife said she would need to get the doctor in to see me, so off she went to get him, by the time she came back with him, there were now another two midwives in the room... and suddenly it was all systems go, everything happened really fast all of a sudden, the doctor said he would need to put a ventouse suction cup on the babies head to pull her out because her head just wasn't coming down... and that he would need to cut me to do that, by that point i didn't care what they did, they could have said they needed to cut my legs off to get the baby out and i would have said yes!! they did everything so fast though, they whipped the end of the bed off, had my legs up in stirrups, and the doctor started injecting my lady bits with about 8 numbing injections, which all stung so much i was crying my eyes out! (such a baby! image) he cut me and then put the suction cup on the babies head, which was the worst, most intense pain i have ever felt, then i had to push to get the head out, which was a horrible feeling, it stung so much and felt like it was far too big to ever come out, but with a few huge pushes the head came out, and with one more out slithered the body! which was the weirdest feeling!, they put the baby on my belly and i asked the midwife what it was, she pulled back the towel and i saw it was a girl..... i was so shocked, i was convinced it was a boy, my husband was sat in the chair so he was out the way whilst the doctor did the ventouse so he couldn't see anything i looked over at hubby and said 'it's a girl' he was crying his eyes out, bless him!, he grabbed my hand and squeezed it, which made me cry!! i held the baby on my chest whilst the doctor stitched me up, i have no idea how many stitches i had but it took him ages to stitch me up and it felt so uncomfortable i could feel everything he was doing!

Phoebe was then took off my to get cleaned up and have her checks, so me and hubby had a cuddle and he said how proud he was of me.... it was the most horrific experience of my life, far worse than i ever thought it would be, but i would do it again in a heartbeat for the most amazing feeling of when the baby is put on your chest, it's a moment my husband and i shared that i'll never forget! I am perfectly fine now, very sore and very bruised from the stitches and my ass has swelled up like a baboons!! he he image but never mind, it was worth it!

a couple of photos of baby Cupcakes

Phoebe being weighed - about 10 minutes old
    http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs529.snc3/30055_10150212695570179_711515178_13043364_132073_n.jpg

Pheebs and her proud daddy
    http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs529.snc3/30055_10150212695580179_711515178_13043365_3813167_n.jpg

• Options
    I replied in the due in forum but wanted to say a huge well done again! Your BS had me in tears and you should be so immensely proud of yourself ILC! Well done, shes gorgeous! xx
  • Options
    Thanks Hun, image
    I've just replied to your bs too...your little girl is beautiful, does she have a name yet? X
  • Options
    Sounds like you had a bit of an ordeal, massive well done for getting through it and your little girl is gorgeous X