Forum home› Archived Birth Clubs› My baby was born in June 2010
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Breastfeeding / Expressing - advice needed!

Hello mummies

I was just wondering if anyone is expressing for any reason (for hubby to feed/sore etc etc)????

If so, how many ml's do you express? I am exclusively breastfeeding and I think the amounts are different to that of formula, and you can't measure how much comes out of the breast! :lol:

Grateful for any help you can offer.

YummyMummy79
Emily - 12 days old

Replies

• Options
    hey YummyMummy

i had to start expressing because Jayden refused the breast when my milk came in. I use an electric double pump but the amount i get really varies depending on time of day and how long since i last used it

i bought the Avent ISIS duo but i think it's over-priced and a bit fiddly
    i tried out an Ameda one at the NCT breastfeeding counsellors place and it's excellent - wish i'd bought it instead

http://www.expressyourselfmums.co.uk/details1.asp/ProductID/225/sid//ameda-lactaline-breast-pump.htm?gclid=CPDo3IiUrKICFcOX2Aodtl_0SQ

if you are exclusively expressing then you should aim to pump every time your baby feeds - if you want to increase your milk supply then pump every 2 hours

the first day of pumping i was only getting half an ounce on each side and totally freaked out that i had lost my milk
    it slowly went up to one ounce on each side then yesterday i started getting 2 ounces on each side (which is what they say you should be getting)

if i pump every 3 hours then i only get about 3 ounces total but if i leave it longer then i get more - but if you do leave it longer then make sure you completely drain the breast so your body knows it needs to make more

i then give Jayden 2 ounces at each feed and if he is still hungry i prepare another 2 ounces but he rarely drinks more than 3 in a feed

hope that helps a bit
  • Options
    hiya, i`ve had to express from day 3 as jacob has a strange suckle reflex that means he cant latch onto me properly.

To begin with i was only getting an ounze (sp?) every 3 2-3 hours but over the last few days its increased dramatically, this morning i managed a whoppping 5 1/2oz!!

Am having to look into freezing it now!!!

I have found that drinking a cold drink whilst expressing makes a massive difference, literally i was pumping away and nothing was coming out and within 30 secs of starting drinking it was pouring out!! Not sure if its a mental thing or if it does actually work xxx

Jeni and Jacob 11 days
  • Options
    Im exclusively breastfeeding but have expressed. Sometimes Alana only takes one side so I have been expressing the other boob about an hour later just to make sure she doesnt change her mind. I get more from the right side than the left. If she hasnt fed then I can get about 4oz on the right but only a max of 2 on the left. I tried to express after she had fed on both sides today and only got half oz out of the 2 boobs.
    I am trying to build up a bit of a supply as I would like hubby to start giving her a bottle, he is desperate to feed her and be more involved in that way.
  • Options
    hi, I'm also expressing currently as LO won't latch on at all. I'm at day 13 and only producing about 10 oz per day, however birth weight was only 6 pound 5 so she is small and seems happy and her nappies are fine (lots of poo!) so hoping supply will increase soon, it does seem to be going up and tomorrow am getting a hopistal-grade double pump on hire.