Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in June 2010
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Anyone else struggling with Breastfeeding?

he was doing so well on colostrum - good latch and always finishing a full 30 - 45mins

now my milk has come in he will only go 15mins then start screaming - but i know he is still hungry

so upsetting :cry:

Replies

• Options
    Iv had a realy hard time breast feeding my LO.
    I found when my milk came in that my boobs were really painful and Alana struggled to latch on because my boobs were so full.
    I found using a warm flannel on my boob helped release the milk and then I hand expressed a bit off to make it easier to latch on.

This breastfeeding lark is much harder than it looks but im persevering with it and it is getting easier, we still have the odd difficult feed but on the whole its getting there.

Good luck Holly and hope it starts to work itself out X
  • Options
    YES, I'm still having to give top ups of formula, my boobs can't keep up with his hunger, but we're still giving it a go. Hang in there, hopefully it'll get easier.
  • Options
    becca sounds like we have had a similar experience, my nipples were black after alana latched on incorrectly after birth and i reckon it took a good 10 days and almot a full tube of lansinoh cream b4 they started to feel normal again . As you say we still have the odd trcky feed but on the whole its getting better
  • Options
    aaww ladies. You are doing so so well. Stick at it. I wish I did. where I had to take codine for pain and then go off or an op she was put onto bottles with formula. I said all along I wouldnt beat myself up about it if she did have formula but it makes me cry when I think of how well she was doing and how lovely it was feeding her. :cry:
  • Options
    Aw Junnie thats a shame honey. I was the same before Alana arrived I thought we would just take it as it comes and if we had to opt for bottles then so be it, but when she arrived I felt so overwhelmingly different and the thought of putting her on the bottle made me cry more than the pain in my boobs. It was very strange
  • Options
    Hiya hunni. Hope things are a bit better now - but try not to get upset about it, he will know when you get upset.

A warm flannel helps. Emily does that when she has wind but I will keep feeding as long as I can x
  • Options
    hi ladies...your all doing so so well!!

i loved BFing my son,and cant wait to do the same with splodge.......but its not without problems..and it can be so difficult and exhausting especially if your a first time mum and all those hormones going around at the same time your milk comes in!! xxxx
  • Options
    Today, my little one has had a couple of long feeds (30/40mins) then a few little 15 mins feeds. she's been sleeping lots (she's just turned 2 days old). Do I need to wake her for a feed before I go to bed because she wouldnt have fed for 4 hours or do i wait until she wakes up in the night? I'm really concerned shes not getting enough and just sleeping lots.
  • Options
    Hi superking,

Sorry this is a bit late, I wouldnt be too worried she is still very new so will be a bit sleepy, when I asked the breast feeding support midwife about waking my LO she said not to but also not to let her go more than 5 hrs during the day. However I didnt let Alana go more than 4hrs during the day (at 4hrs I would start to try and wake her) and in the first few days I was keen to feed her every 3 hrs to make sure she had enough food and hopefully feel fuller for night time. So if she stirred at all I would get her up and see if she would wake, most of the time she did and after 2 wks she started to go 4 hrs then 5 hrs at night time (until the last 2 nights LOL) and 3-4 hrs during the day.
    Try not to worry that she isnt getting enough, the amount of time she is on the breast apparently is no indication of how much they are getting, she could get just as much milk from a quick feed as in a long feed, or she may be taking lots of milk on the long feeds then just topping up with the smaller feeds. As long as the MW is happy with her weight im sure she is fine.
    Its such a tricky business tho.
  • Options
    Thanks for that looby. If only babies came with instruction manuals and they all worked in the same way image)

MW is happy with everything at the moment, told her about her feeds and sleeping etc and she says that everything is fine.

It is very tricky, I agree
    xx