Forum home› Archived Birth Clubs› My baby was born in June 2010
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Out of hours Doctors

sorry no need to reply but just need to rant.

i had been given some pain killers from my doctors i took them yesterday moring and about half hour later i felt funny blurred vision really bad headache over my right eye. it got worse through out the day. it got that bad i felt uncomfortable holding Bella i had to ring my mil and fil to come and get us both.

When hubby finished work he tried to find a nhs drop in centre and was told they where closed so he rung our doctors out of hours number and it took forever to arrange to be seen they diagnose over the phone then you go to the drop in centre that's meant to be closed!

The doctor asked my why i didn't take anymore pain killers that my doctor had given me and i explain i dont need then all the time and he said well they would help your head! and didn't i know what was in them! i felt like saying would you take something that you had taken and then felt ill with!

Anyway just a little rant, we've said now if Bella ever needs to be seem out of hours we'd better off taking her to a&e.

Her dad had to get up with her in the night and she's back at her nan's today which i fell bad about as she has my sil and her hubby plus 3 kids staying with them at the moment.

Replies

• Options
    just to say i also think out of hours doctors are crap! I had to call them when i was ill a couple of weeks ago thinking they would sent out a doctor to see me-did they heck! Apparently those days are long gone??? They did however tell me to call an ambulance and go to A&E. Only problem was the hospital they sent me to wouldn't allow me to bring in Kaleb with me due to risk of infection so i had to be almost carried to the car (my hubby had followed with Kaleb) by my mum to feed Kaleb. We then got transfered to the hospital i had Kaleb in and Kaleb was admitted with me for 5 days.

The problem with A&E is that there are all sorts of germs floating about so the hospitals are reluctant to let in babies particularly if they haven't had their vaccinations yet.

Personally if anything is wrong with Kaleb out of hours i will be going back to triage at the hospital he was born in to see a peadatrician...

I hope your feeling better soon though hun. I found with my illness that some of these painkillers they give tend to create more problems rather than solve them. For me i didnt start getting better until i completely stopped taking the cocktail that they had prescribed me... xxx
  • Options
    thats what we thought would happen, also the out of hours doctors that work at the centre are from a company called doctors on call, so not even nhs or even from this country!

i've stopped taken the painkillers too, my mil works on maternity unit and did wonder if it was the painkillers mixing with drug cocktail i had when i had bella as she was a c section even though she was born 7 weeks ago it can stay in your system for ages.

i feel better today thanks

glad your feeling better and nice to know i'm not the only one.