Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in June 2010
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

BS for Baby Jayden - warning: v v v long (also in DIJ)

finally got around to writing this while my little boy amused himself on his beanbag. Sorry it's so long but i felt i needed to write it all down for myself - well done if u get through it all - if not i will tell u that we are all safe and sound now and v happy

-----------

I guess it's about time I wrote my birth sory

Jayden had a rather tough entry into this world. It was hard on us both but I had the benefit of being oblivious to most of it thanks to being in "the zone" (and thanks to a lot of gas and air!). In actual fact I think the people it affected most were my darling hubby, my mum and little sister because they went through the whole thing with me.

It all began at 1.30am on Monday 7th June 2010 when I was 39 weeks pregnant; I was on the toilet when I felt a sudden surge of liquid that did not feel "normal" and I couldn't stop it. I figured my waters had gone but being half asleep I did think I might be dreaming it. Plus after 2 weeks of thinking I was going into labour I didn't trust my body any more. So I put on a maternity pad, went downstairs and watched 10mins of tv before realising the pad was completely soaked. At this point I called the maternity triage unit and they said to come in to be assessed.
At this point I woke up hubby gently by telling him we had to go to the hospital as my waters had gone - he thought I was joking because the night before he had said he thought I would go into labour that night! Then the funniest thing happened - hubby had a bit of a panic and stood in front of the wardrobe trying to decide what to wear. He pulled out a pair of trousers he hadn't worn for 3 years and asked if i thought they were suitable for him to meet his son in! I told him just to put on his bloody jeans and lets go hehe

We got to the hospital and I was told to hop up onto the bed so they could monitor me then they would do a speculum test to make sure my waters had actually broken. As soon as I got on the bed amniotic fluid gushed EVERYWHERE - the midwife started giggling and said she didn't think they would need to do that test after all haha They monitored me for about an hour in the end as baby had gone to sleep and they needed him to wake up to make sure he wasnt in distress. took some coke, cold water and lots of prodding but eventually he woke up and they said all was well and sent us back home - around 4.30am.

As soon as I got in the car I started having mild contractions, which continued when we got home. Watched some tv, had breakfast and pottered around tidying the house. Hubby went back to sleep but I couldn't. Eventually I put the tens on and sat on my birthing ball thinking how managable it all seemed (how stupid was I!). Finally at 10.30am we went back to the hospital - they examined me and I was almost 4 cm dilated so they sent us for a walk before admitting us to the labour ward. I requested the birthing pool and was lucky that it was free - it had just been redecorated with all this active birthing equipment including a great big soft-play type sofa/bench thing in a kidney bean shape - this was to be my home for the next 12 hours.
I started off just kneeling on the sofa thing with my hands on the wall and breathing through the contractions - eventually I decided I needed gas and air so had great fun getting to grips with that. Made me a bit spaced out though so I would stop using it before the contraction had finished.

At some point my mum and sister arrived but I was a bit out of it by then. I kept asking when I could use the pool but they said they wouldn't examine me again for 3 more hours and only after that could i use the pool if i was more dilated (i was a bit pissed off at this but not much i could do).
I then had a very bloody show and apparently lost quite a lot of blood so had to be monitored from then on. Luckily the midwives let me stay in my kneeling position coz baby was back-to-back and I had the most agonizing back pains through contractions - only way I could deal with it was kneeling - no way I could have sat down or been on my back. Baby's heart rate was within normal limits but was dipping around 120 where before it had been 140. At some point they filled up the pool (i must have had an internal coz i remember the pain of internals but not when or how many) but due to the bleeding and the monitoring they wouldn't let me use it. In hindsight there's no way I could have climbed up the steps into the bath as there was virtually no break between contractions.

I have no idea what happened for the next few hours - only that i had my mum on one side of me acting as my cheerleader and my hubby on the other holding the gas and air so I could use my hands to push against the wall and rock back and forth. Both of them were amazing but my husband was my rock - he was an absolute pillar of strengh and I couldn't have got through it without him. I remember needing to push when i was 9cm and they told me i couldnt, then i was "almost 10 but just with a lip on one side" so still couldn't push; the relief when i was told i *could* push was huge.

Unfortunately pushing didn't go so well. I just knew it wasn't doing anything and that something wasn't right but they wouldn't listen to me (to be fair i was probably also talking a lot of nonsense as well). Pushing was awful coz she said 3 big pushes then the contraction would be over but they lasted so long that it was minimum 4 pushes and then I would get agonising pain in my back and had to keep pushing to relieve the pain - was absolutely exhausting. After an hour of pushing on my knees they examined me (major ouch!) and said the head had moved down a bit but not quite enough and that I had to keep pushing for another hour before the doctor would come and look at me. At this point i could have cried - in fact i think i told my mum there was no way I could go another hour and they just had to get him out. I moved position so I was effectively squatting but with my hands on the sofa thing to support me. Half an hour later I told them he wasn't moving but once again they wouldn't listen.

After the full two hours had passed (no idea how i got through it) the midwife examined me again and said he hadn't moved since the previous exam. Not sure what i said but i'm sure it was at least along the lines of "I TOLD you that". She said she had to get the doctor but I wasn't allowed to push! omg that was impossible but at least they gave me the G&A back (they took it away when i started pushing). The doctor took half an hour to arrive but i just remember the effort of not pushing really more than timings. She examined me and said I had to go to theatre for an instrumental delivery. Cue more people coming in to explain things to me (like i was in a fit state to consent!) - I just told them to do what they had to to get the baby out safely and PLEASE could i have some serious pain relief! hehe

Eventually I was wheeled to theatre and with much pulava got up onto the bed and gulped down more G&A - was in so much pain at this point i was barely conscious. They were just about to administer a spinal block when I was told we had to move to a different theatre as someone else needed this one! Hubby was furious and it was only the fact that i was clinging to him in pain that stopped him punching someone. So more pain and hassle moving to another theatre and getting back up on the bed. Then they tried to administer the spinal block but I kept telling them to stop as a contraction was coming - took all my remaining strength to stay still long enough for it to go in

When the spinal block took effect it was the most wonderful thing in the world - suddenly all my pain was gone - i could see and think clearly and even ended up laughing with hubby when they put my legs in stirrups and i couldn't feel it - just sat there poking my legs going "these aren't my legs!" hehe
The consultant (who was amazing!) came in and I asked if he would *have* to do an episiotomy as I had been told I was having ventuouse. He said he would have to use forceps, not ventuouse, because baby's head was twisted to the side looking over his shoulder so he would have to push him back up, turn him and pull him down again (so yes to the episiotomy). If forceps failed I would have to have a c-section. I told him just do what you have to to get my baby out safely. In fact the whole way through I kept asking if baby was ok and they always said "yes, he's fine. it's you we're worried about.

I don't really remember all of the delivery because they told me to push and I was trying to figure out how to do that when I couldn't feel anything below my chest but hubby has filled me in. So they pushed baby up and started to pull his head out, with me pushing, but then his shoulders got stuck and they had a bit of a panic. They apparently lifted my legs right up in the air over my head, the doc held baby and they pulled me down sharply so that baby would come out.
then came the longest minutes of my life as they rushed him to the rescuscitator. Again i asked if he was ok but this time no one replied and baby didnt make a sound. Looked at hubby and he had tears running down his face (he *never* cries). after what seemed like an eternity we heard a loud wail and both started laughing and crying at once.
poor baby had an Apgar score of 6 when he was born but it went up to 9 after 1 minute.

We had great trouble gettin breastfeeding established as his face was terribly bruised by the forceps. On day 5 my milk came in and he flat out refused the breast so we resorted to ebm and formula as he was starving and dehydrated. 2 sessions of cranial osteopathy later and he is like a different baby. For 5 days he has been breastfeeding once a day after his bath and today he just finished a lunch time feed at the breast!

After everything we went through together it's hard to believe i have such a good, contented little baby boy. He's an absolute giift from God and both hubby and I are smitten

Replies