Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in June 2010
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Mattress help please

I finally have a cot as James is quickly outgrowing his moses basket! Its a Mothercare cot but I have no idea what type of mattress to get...any help please, all this coolmax and spacetec stuff is confusing me!!

Replies

• Options
    aw hun i have no idea, im hopeless, i bought noah a cot a few months ago, its still flat packed in my living room as i forgot to buy a matress when i bought it. if you look in mothercare catolouge i think it describes all the types of matress, im not going to get the most expensive but im not going to get the cheapest either, im going somewhere in the middle xx
  • Options
    There is one on babies r us website thats half price from ??139 that looks good, but I dont even understand the difference between pocket sprung and spring interior! x
  • Options
    I just got Lily a foam mattress... It's perfectly fine, and she sleeps well on it. It only sags a bit where her head lays.
    xxx
  • Options
    I tend to go for a middle of the road one as well - if you have a cotbed I'd get a better one (sprung) as it'll be used for longer, but if it is just a cot then you don't actually need it to last that long, 18 months-2 years ish. I do prefer sprung to foam, as foam can sag a bit.

I would say get one with a wipe clean and removable cover though, so you can keep it clean properly.
  • Options
    we have just bought a sprung one with coconut inside..they are meant to keep there shape for longer,as we have a cot that changes to a cotbed so its worth spending the extra money......i though wouldnt get a wipe clean cover......id go for cotton every timne.....my daughter gets really sweaty bless her....and i think a wipe clean cover will only just add to this!xxxx
  • Options
    We got a foam mattress as we plan on having number 2 within 3 years so will move William into a big boy bed and baby will have the cot with a new mattress. We won't get a decent matress until the last baby uses it as a bed as it will need to last longer. I do need to buy a protector for it though as his spits up and protects for when he's potty training!
  • Options
    Ok I have bought one...we went for the pocket sprung one from Mothercare with a removable washable cover that has cool max stuff to help regulate temperature - and James is such a hot baby. We were going to get a spring one at ??89 and I called ahead and reserved it and sent hubby to pick it up...but the woman in the shop told him about the other one and saying stuff about how we all want the best for our lo's and hubby fell hook line and sinker and spent ??130! I feel a bit wasteful as it is only a cot and I wouldnt re-use a mattress but he has done it now and I want to put it up today! xx
  • Options
    I got the ??89 sprung one with coolmax etc for Harry. He has been in his cot for 6wks now and sleeps straight thru so it must b comfy.
  • Options
    Phew, I know, it's so complicated looking at the choices. I also got the ??89 sprung one with coolmax - it's still in the packaging until I make the big move!