Forum home› Archived Birth Clubs› My baby was born in June 2010
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Making up bottles for night feeds

Hi girls and babies

Out of interest how is everyone making up bottles for night feeds? i don't know what your babies are like but Isabella is extremely impatient at night when she wants a bottle and gets into a state waiting.

I know officially its recommend that you make them up as and when, or that you can put water in bottles then put the bottles in the fridge and add powder when needed and then heat the bottle. But Isabella wont take it this way i don't know if it changes the texture.

I know your not meant to and will probably get slated by some people but i hate seeing her so upset. we've had to resort to making the full bottle up leave to cool and put in fridge then heat when needed. Hubby's a chef and says this way makes more sense as kills bacteria instead of adding formula to cold water. Or getting hot spots cooling the bottles down under a cold tap. Plus this is how our parents made up bottles for us.

during the day i do make up bottles for about every 31/2 hours so they are ready for when she needs them.

nessie

Replies

• Options
    im adding the powder to the water when i need it i have tommee tippee bottles with the powder dispensers and phoebe takes it at room temperature
    i to will probably be slated but i did it this way with my ds and so far neither of them have had any problems
  • Options
    If you are worried you could use the ready made cartons at night thats what we do. Will make up with powder when she's a bit older.

Just a thought image
  • Options
    Hi my system will probably sound complicated but its so easy now we are in a routine. We make up 6 bottles with cooled boiled water and put them in the fridge (we do 6 as thats how many fit in the microwave steriliser. We too also have powder dispensers and make up 6 with the correct formula measured into them. At night time i have a mini fridge and bottle warmer beside my bed. 4 bottles go into the fridge and the 4 dispensers with formula sit on top of the fridge. I heat the bottle in the warmer and then add the milk. I also change his nappy while the bottle heats up so saves having to go up and down stairs all night xxx
  • Options
    If you are going to make the water up in advance do not put in fridge... My midwifes advice...

We make the water up in advance and leave bottles on kitchen work top then add the powder when needed and George takes his feeds at room temp xx hth
  • Options
    What I actually do is make up 6 bottles in the morning and keep them all in the fridge and warm them up when Lily is hungry. That way I'm set until the next morning.
    Is this wrong? I mean... Could this be bad for her? I'm totally clueless when it comes to bottle feeding, because my mum knows nothing about it and she's who I go to when I'm confused..
  • Options
    i do the same as sammyham and gash, make in advance.

The main thing with storing them in a fridg is to lt them cool completely and the put them in the fridgee i dont put them in there when they are still warm.

I have found after 4 kids the guidelines change and change and change. I have always done the same with my 4.

xx
  • Options
    thanks girls just really wanted reassurance i think being my first. we did try the ready made cartons yesterday whilst we were out but it made her sick, even though the same brand as what we use for her bottles.
  • Options
    nessiet i use the ready made cartons at night - they are stored at room temperature anyway - Jayden is also terribly impatient when he is hungry
    he is only taking the breast once a day after his bath when he is calm and i try to express the rest of the time but at night i like to have a formula backup just in case so cartons are perfect