Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in June 2010
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

12 week jab didnt go so well

My poor little munchkin had a reaction to her jab yesterday. It was very scarey and upsetting but thankfully she is fine now.
She had her jabs at 3pm, she cried as expected and was fine straight after, brought her home and she had a a nap and feed and seemed her normal self. She had another nap and woke at 7pm, after about 10mins she started crying so I picked her up, she then screamed like iv never heard her scream, thought maybe she needed her nappy changing so tried to put her down, to which she screamed even more (which I didnt think was possible as she was alreading screaming so hard), I have never heard her cry like this before, I undid her suit and straight away saw the problem. Her left thigh was bright red from top to bottom and very swollen, I immidately picked her up but she was inconsolable, I couldnt even stroke her leg without her screaming, I called NHS direct to be kept on the phone for 15 mins and told a nurse would call back. I was really worried and hubby was out and had taken my car and he wasnt answering his phone grrr. The nurse called back and kept me on the phone for another 20 mins going through all these bloody questions while Alana was still crying on and off only to tell me that if I was still worried in the morning to contact my health visitor!!! WTF I said I wanted to see someone tonight, her response was "some swelling is normal after their immunisations" to which i replied "it is not normal for her whole leg to swell up!!" she then said she hadnt realised it was that bad and eventually got me an appoinment with the emergency doctors. I gave Alana some calpol at this point as initially she was screaming too much and I wouldnt have been able to give it her then was kept on the bloody phone the rest of the time.
By the time we got to the emergency doc the calpol had kicked in, she had taken a feed and the redness had gone down and she was all smiley and chatty again (thank god). The doc agreed it still looked a little swollen, checked her over and said she seemed ok now but obviously if anything changed to contact them straight away.
I was so worried about her but thankfully the whole thing only lasted about 2-3 hrs and she was fine overnight. Her leg still looks a little tender but I would consider this to be normal now, last night certainly wasnt.
I was not impressed with NHS direct to be honest, I know they can only do so much but Im glad Alana got better becasue had it of got worse I would have wasted about an hour on the phone. I certainly wont call them again if I was that worried about her in the future, I would just take her straight to the children's hospital, I couldnt believe the only thing they could do was tell me what I already knew (calpol, check temp, cuddle, feed ect) and to wait 48 hrs and see how she was, the women even commented on how upset she sounded!!!

Replies

• Options
    Aw looby, sorry you had to go through all that, Oscar had his yesterday as well, the injection sites are red and swollen today but nothing like poor Alana's by the sound of it.
    I agree about NHS direct, when I had to be seen by out of hours doc he was less than complimentary about them and advised to go either straight to them or call 999 if you're really worried!

Hope you're over the worst and Alana's back to her normal self soon
  • Options
    Oh dear! I hope everything is OK now, so sorry that you had to go through that! Just keep the Calpol nearby incase Alana gets upset again.
    xxx
  • Options
    Thanks ladies, so far she seems ok but i have calpol at the ready hehe. Like you say fanj a bit of swelling and redness around the site is normal but only upto the size of a 50p, and I dont think id of worried as much if she hadnt screamed like she did. Just so relieved she is ok but im not looking forward to her next lot in 4 wks image
  • Options
    Oh my goodness sweety the exact same thing happened to my dd with her 12 and 16 week jabs! Her leg ended up so swollen and she literally cried on and off for 24 hours afterwards and wouldn't drink anything it was horrible, i even have a photo of her swollen leg it was so bad!

I hope she feels a little better now bless her... im dreading my little mans image xx
  • Options
    aww i hope she feels better now hun bless her xxx
  • Options
    o no hun hope she's feeling better now phoebe has hers on monday i hope she doesnt have a reaction x x x