Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Mar 08
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Advice for my Doggy, Haha Fao Del

I remember posting on here at Christmas about my new puppy Labrador and someone on here said they had a lot of experience with them?? Cant remember who it was???
I need some advice on him xxxxx

Just looked I think it was Del x

[Modified by: SarahNAimee on 27 March 2009 10:06:19 ]

Replies

• Options
    hey you!!
    yep it was me!! I have a very lively black lab called Missy. She was 2 last november and i keep wishing for the day when she is going to calm down hehe.
    How is it going with your new addition. ?X
  • Options
    Right well mine is the exact opposite!!!!!
    We have had him since 20th Dec, but because we couldnt get his injections til mid Jan he was house bound really til then, apart from the small garden we have!
    But, he is very lazy, and i mean lazy. I dont know if there is something up with him!!
    When I had his injections i asked the vet about his first walk and said i didnt know how much he would manage. She said big dogs like him should easily make an hour or 2 straight away. Erm... No.
    I honestly cant get him to do anything. He just plods next to the buggy when we go out, doesnt even need a lead, which I know is great in some ways, but when I throw him a stick, even just 2 metres away, he wont go to it!!!
    I go on a half hour run 3 times a week and i have to drag him the whole way!
    My sister has a staff and we take them out together, he plays with her and then as soon as she runs, he justs looks as if to say, yer right and looks on!!! My boyf took him to town the other day and was out an hour and half and said on the way home he kept sitting down!!
    Sorry for waffling, just wanting you to get a few examples!!! Do you think im being paranoid? Maybe hes just lazy? If I take him to thew vet will they charge me to check him over?!!! Ha. Takes for any advice hun!!! Hope your well x
  • Options
    hhhmmmm....
    how big is he?

Missy was a lazy bum until she was about 6 months. She wasnt fussed on walking around even in the back garden. She would quiet happily play in the house but outside was different. We just put it down do her being a bit wary. She too would sit down.....so would the collie dog we have aswell. I can remember having to carry them both back to the house at times.

I wouldnt worry too much about it if the vet is happy with the dogs health.

We have been to obedience training with missy and were told that the key with dogs was to make them excited through you being excited if that makes sense. Whenever we took Missy down to the beach she would just plod along, whereas Tedi would be bonkers running up and down. SO....we had to make it fun for missy which meant us acting like complete twits in public to wind missy up (star jumps, getting down on the floor lol....we looked right ones!!)

How is he in the house? does he get excited when people come in the door etc? I think if he is quiet in the house i would probably be concerned more. If its just outside when walking etc then maybe see if there are any ways you can make it more fun for him? sorry if youve tried all this im just trying to think of some ideas. Maybe his fave toy...jog along with that in your hand? Is it that he doesnt like going on his lead? Tedi (the collie) hates being on a lead so if ever i put it on her she sulks and wont go.

I guess all dogs are different. My brother has a choc lab and it gets very excited when people come into the house but like your dog isnt fussed outside and i suppose seems a bit lazy when walking.

Does he know what fetch is? It is only now that misy understands that when i throw something i want her to go get it and bring it back to me. An example would be down at the beach with both dogs.. we would throw a stick....Tedi would shoot off and get it whereas Missy would run two/three steps and think whats going on??

I dont think a young pup could walk for 2 hours though....Missy (and Tedi) are both knackered after 30mins down the beach! If we do take them road the roads walking 20mins and they are on their knees!

sorry for the essay especially if its no help......
    Del x
  • Options
    Thanks for advice. Im going to get him checked i think. Hes quite quiet in the house too, always sleeping. Dont get me wrong he does play. And when people go to the door he barks a bit and goes to it. He does seem to be excited when we get his lead but when hes out he just has no energy!
    My Dad has had him out every night this week with the jack russell and hes just not gettin g fitter s would rather the vet just check him out,

This is him now... Think hes going to be a big lad!!!

http://photos-d.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-snc1/v2607/201/32/566786792/n566786792_2059699_5043277.jpg