Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Mar 08
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Breastfeeders- how long you going to do it for?

I'm just thinking about going back to work in august andIknow I will never be able to express enough for him to have while I'm working so I have decided to slowly put him onto formula from 12 weeks. First I will just start FF when I am out and about and BF at home but eventually I will only BF at night and poss first morning feed too. I will probably give it up all together by the time he's back at work.

What about everyone else? A lot of us have done really well and we should be proud of ourselves for doing it so long.

Replies

• Options
    Good for you lindsay. I would if I could but unfortunately im back to work. Mastitus cleared up quick luckily because I was on the antibiotics basically before it showed up so it tackled it swiftly. Wouldnt have liked to have had that for ages thats for sure!
  • Options
    Hi
    I plan till 6 month then once weaning starts I will see. I love feeding but miss nice lacey bras instead of hammocks!!! Also, want to seriously lose weight but I read that if you lose quickly while bf too much toxin gets released into your milk and can be bad for baby.....shame! I will just have to have that mars bar after all.
    I mad as hell as went to doctors for Amelia check up and he thinks I need to give her iron and vitamin supplements as bf alone is not enough!!!!!!!!!! He got his head bitten off. I thought the whole point of bf is that it was the best for baby and ALL they need till 6 months grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

d xx
  • Options
    i want to bf til 6 months but both me and the hv think that Sam will probably have to be weaned earlier than this. im gonna go as long as i can then gradually introduce foods after 4 months at least
  • Options
    Hes as big as a lot of babies who are eating already anyway!

Dee- I must be doing it right then coz im losing very slowly! I was 13st 10lbs 2 weeks after lucas was born and im now 13st 5lbs! At least its going in the right direction.
  • Options
    I want to do it until she is 12 months. I am going back to work when she is 6 months old and hoping to express.
    I work nights 4 on 4 off and she is already sleeping through from 9- about 5am and can express at work....so hope I can continue.

I breastfed my other daughter for 9 months, only stopped because she was not gaining weight ( due to a heart condition not my milk) and I thought she may gain better on formula. In hindsight I would not have stopped. I also lost lots of weight ( not on purpose...) about 5 stone when breastfeeding that time. I understand about the toxins but the weight just fell off...no dieting or anything and could not stop it.
    However, I have lost no weight yet with breastfeeding....mainly because I eat and eat as I am hungry ALL the time.
    may try weightwatchers this time as they only advocate a weight loss of 1 pound per week which is ok for breastfeeding mothers.

Amanda

• Options
    I'm fortunate in that i don't have to return to work until January so am hoping to get to 6 months exclusively bf as well. Altho agree that at the first sign of teeth my mind may quickly change! x
  • Options
    i breast fed my lillt boy on demand for 8 weeks.now hes starting to show signs of teething and gnaws insted of sucking so my boobs have got sore and the bottles have come out image
  • Options
    I have taken off from work untill feb... I plan to feed for 6 months but never know how things will change... though feeding was tough initially.. but right now I happen to like this bond with my lil one..
  • Options
    ha ha... too right about the teeth....owwwww

d x
  • Options
    Hey Dee - long time no speak! Why did the doc say that about vits and iron? V. strange.

I plan to reassess things after 6 months. I'll probably stop bf by the end of the year as I'm going back to work in Jan. Also fancy some drinkies at Christmas! Although I can manage a couple of drinks every now and then now and Samuel doesn't see to mind x
  • Options
    Hiya Jo...I have totally ignored the adivce. Posted on bf thread and mums there said advice in UK is that they get evertything they need from us for 6 months. If you want to continue after that then mix their baby rice with formula rather than breast milk as that gives them iron.
    Good thinking about Xmas....seems ages away but will be here before we know it. Just think of all our cute babies in their santa hats!!!!!!!
    I have odd glass here and there and it Amelia does not seem to mind at all either. Mind you one glass of wine and I am a bit giggly..cheap date or what!??!!!
    So glad Sam much better now.
    d xxxx